Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum, also known as Princess Bonnibel Bubblegum, is the reigning monarch of Candy Kingdom. A kind and popular Princess she is adored and celebrated by the citizens of her kingdom. The residents of Candy Kingdom are all sentient candy people, essentially living sweets. Princess Bubblegum being the sole strictly humanoid candy person. Princess Bubblegum has a very keen sense of justice and fairness, and has been shown on multiple occasions to be willing to defend and care for her subjects. She is intelligent, sophisticated, noble and refined. She is the object of affection for many of the residents of Ooo, including Finn and the Ice King. Princess Bubblegum is especially curious, and has for many years worked on and created experiments in her science lab, however often these experiments results can cause many problems for Princess and her kingdom. On occasion zombie outbreaks have occurred, as well as the potentially disastrous creation of Goliad. Princess Bubblegum has an interesting friendship with the Vampire Queen Marceline, but the two often seem to have an up and down relationship, most likely due to their very different contrasting personalities. Princess Bubblegum has a pet she is usually accompanied by, a Rainbow Unicorn by the name of Lady Rainicorn. Much about Princess Bubblegum origin and past remain a mystery, it is known however that at some point in the past she had created the sentient creature Lemongrab and is aware and aided in the imprisonment of the Lich and is also aware of the danger Flame Princess possesses. Often Princess Bubblegum will be the authority and organizer of the regular Princesses of Ooo meetings and tribunals, attended by various princesses such asSlime Princess, Lumpy Space Princess, Raggedy Princess, Flame Princess, Breakfast Princess and Toast Princess among others.

Creation

Princess Bubblegum first appeared as a cartoon character on the Cartoon Network show Adventure Time with Finn and Jake, she was created by Pendleton Ward, show creator, and voiced by Hynden Walch. Her first appearance in comics was under the comics publisher Boom! Studios, in the comic book Adventure Time.Princess Bubblegum's appearance here penned by Ryan North with art by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb.

Character Evolution

Bubblegum

Drawing from traditional fairy tale archetypes in which every hero requires a beautiful princess to rescue, Princess Bubblegum is inspired by but also dramatically plays with such traditions. Although she is the Princess of Adventure Time to the main protagonists of Finn and Jake, Princess Bubblegum is much older and capable than the two heroes and serves as more of an unrequited love interest to Finn than mutual romantic interest. Save for when the character was de-aged in a particular plot of the Adventure Time animated cartoon show. A popular main member of the Cartoon Network show, Princess Bubblegum inevitably showed up when a comic series inspired by the show was produced, published by Boom Studios. Princess Bubblegum retains many of her fan favorite endearing traits from the show, including her appreciation of all things scientific as well as delving deeper into Bubblegum and Marcelines friendship. With time various aspects of Bubblegum have been developed and occasionally exaggerated. Her scientific curiosity reaching a point where she would come off as almost unethically inconsiderate to her test subjects and experiments. A romantic subplot with Finn having a crush on Princess Bubblegum addressed when Bubblegum would be de-aged. Bubblegum also demonstrating her victories and fallings as a princess and ruler. Princess Bubblegum's friendship would be explored in greater detail in the Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens mini series by Meredith Gran.

Major Story Arcs

Training BMO

PB and BMO

Princess Bubblegum would be spending the day with BMO, and trying to console the little game machine after he realizes he wants to be perfect. Perfect at fighting! Princess Bubblegum would try and dissuade BMO, until she realized he only wanted to start fights with bad guys. She would advise that BMO therefore needed to train. BMO would make sure that he would never punch Bubblegum and Bubblegum would make sure BMO knew she would never punch him. Princess Bubblegum would naturally be the one to train BMO, and would also hold a class of training with Jake and Finn as well. Jake and Finn would be allowed to give a demonstration, but end up having fun by Jake using his shapeshifting powers. BMO would observe that much of Jakes attacks and defenses owe directly to his powers. Bubblegum would second this observation asking Jake if he could fight without his powers. This would prompt Jake to retry the demonstration sans powers resulting in him getting punched quite painfully in his nose. Jake would vent at how dumb fighting without powers is, prompting Finn and Princess Bubblegum to square off, in a hand to hand demonstration, neither having powers. Bubblegum would prove more skilled than Finn, evading his attack and throwing a very subsequently impressed Finn. BMO would attempt to replicate Princess Bubblegums success but fail. BMO would however succeed with Battle Burns, the term he gives for verbal insulting an opponent. Now finding himself in the role of the teacher, BMO would try and impart his impressive Battle Burn abilities and skills to Princess Bubblegum, Finn and Jake, with Bubblegum ending up with the most impressive display causing Finn and Jake to posit whether she was bad at anything.