Prologue

"... and in conclusion, we'd like to wish Prince Lucian a happy 21st birthday, and good luck to all the ladies heading to the Royal Palace this season," the announcer, Eleri Levene said from the TV screen. I sighed and stood.

"Kaiser, sit, we need to talk," my mother said as she walked into the vast and elegant living room. She was stunning in her flowing, strapless, plum-colored chiffon dress. Her honey-colored hair was pulled up into an elegant bun and her makeup was always flawless; her fair skin clear of any discrepancies. She dressed elegantly all the time; like a proper lady did. Obediently, I sat back down and waited.

"If this is about Prince Lucian's Grand Celebration, I respectfully decline, mother," I said as I sat up straight. My mother sat across from me, her expression stern and scolding.

"You know that's not an option. It's mandatory, and you're 18 now. You're eligible," she replied.

"You didn't make Winston go to the Palace for Cordelia's Grand Celebration," I argued. My mother was growing irritated and it was written in her eyes.

"That's because he was already lined up to marry Guinevere from Belmount; you know that. He wasn't eligible at the time... you are," she said to me. I sighed and tucked a loose strand behind my ear as I looked at my lap. There was no way I was getting out of this one and I knew it.

"Mother, please," I started. She held up a hand to stop me.

"It's not up for discussion, Kaiser. I had Liliwen set your arrival gown on your bed. You're supposed to fly out tomorrow morning," she said. Just then, my father walked in with a plate of chocolate cake and a sympathetic smile.

"I'm sorry, honey," he said as he handed me the cake. My mother glared at him before taking the plate.

"Philip, she has to look her best tomorrow in her gown. Chocolate cake is not an option at the moment," she scolded him. My father rolled his eyes.

"Oh, Josephine, relax. Cessie is too rebellious and hot-headed for the prince anyway. She'll be back home within the first week," my father joked. My mother seemed appalled, but my father and I laughed it off. We all knew it was true.

"Please, at least try not to piss off the prince, Kaiser. Remain poised. Remember, you represent us, and Texxarnan as a whole," my mother said. She was antsy and nervous. I knew why. Every time the royal family had a child, she had a child in hopes to get one of her children in the Royal Palace, but she was infertile now and she only had three more chances to get her children into a Grand Celebration. She only had Idalia, Allain, and me as her last resort.

"I'll do my best, mother," I said tightly. I was lying, of course, but I had a lot of practice. She nodded before she stood and left. As soon as she did, my father handed back the chocolate cake with a wink. Despite myself, I smiled.

"Philip," my mother called from halfway down the corridor. My father stood.

"I'll see you back here in a few weeks," my father said before he left to go find my mother. I sighed and stood before going to my room. I caught sight of myself in the full-length mirror. I had the same blue eyes and honey colored hair as my mother; only, my hair reached well past my knees when it was down and straightened. The only difference between my mother and I was the freckles that dotted my fuller cheeks subtly. I took in my low-raise shorts, black tank-top, and messy low bun. This is what I was comfortable in... and all of that was about to change.

The Grand Celebration was a tradition in Aerdorynn that helped members of the Royal Family, male and female, find a suitable spouse. Only the sons and daughters, ages 18 to 22, of lords and dukes were invited to attend to weed out any undesirables and keep the newfound monarchy alive. I was close to avoiding Prince Lucian Chamberlain's Celebration because I had only recently turned 18, but somehow, my mother pulled her strings and got a last minute invitation for me. Despite being the daughter of a duke, I hated the high lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, it was nice not having to worry about a job or money, but I liked cooking for myself. I wanted to go to college and learn more about the arts. I wanted to open my own dance studio in Texxarnan near my home....

The only home I wanted.

The only home I knew.

I was okay with not traveling. I was okay with not being total royalty. It was all politics anyway. I knew from my mother's lessons how carefully planned the Royal Family answered each question on the news. Against my mother's hopes and wishes, I liked being home and taking care of my family, even if that meant I never found a husband.

On the bed was my arrival gown. It was tradition that the lady wears a wedding gown upon arrival so that the Royal Family could see what potential they held. It was an absolute circus, and I was about to be apart of that circus...

At lease for a little while.