Intro/Teaser

Jack and I had been friends for years. He lived just down the street from me my entire life, but we connected in our middle school years. We got closer as the years went and now... Well, now I guess we were a couple.

I moved out of my house during my senior year of high school. I couldn't stay there any longer, too much had been happening with my mother. Plus, parts of myself that I wasn't aware of were starting to come to light, and living without guidance was dangerous. I moved into a house in the Garden District, a large white house with another woman who was to teach me more about myself and teach me to be the best I could be. This house was just across the city from where I had been living before, which meant I could still see Jack whenever I wanted.

This morning, however, would be the first time I would see him since I moved. He only knew of the problems with my mother, so he never asked otherwise.

I pulled my car into a parking lot behind the small breakfast cafe and walked around the front to see Jack sitting at a table outside. He stood when he saw me.

"Hello stranger!" He smiled, and pulled me into his arms.

"Hello Jack, I've missed you," I smiled as we pulled away and sat across from each other.

"How are you, how has the move been?" He asked, moving his menu aside.

"It's been... Interesting. I really like the home though. I think I'll do well there," I told him, trying to seem hopeful.

"You're in the Garden District, right? Is it a huge house?"

"Yeah, it's a mansion. It's beautiful, I really love it actually."

"How did you manage to afford that? Are you paying rent or something?"

I laughed, "No, the woman I'm living with owns it. I don't have to pay at all, actually."

"Well what does she do then, how does she make money?"

"Honestly, I have no idea. She teaches young girls like me. I'm just her only student at the moment. She seems... Alright though. I trust her."

"What's her name again? I've never heard of this place."

I looked up at him, suddenly. "Her name? Um, yeah. Her name is Fiona Goode." His eyes shot up and met mine. I took a deep breath. He knew her?

"Fiona, yeah. I've heard she's really smart," He stuttered. I suddenly feared he knew something about her, or about me, that I wasn't ready for him to know.

"Yeah, she is. She's great, I enjoy her a lot," I said nervously. He began to pick at a piece of skin on his thumb.

"Do you want to see the house? Fiona won't be home until tomorrow," I asked, scared of his response. He looked away for a second, zoned out on something else, making his decision.

"Hell yeah," He said with a chuckle.