Prologue

Shyam walked into the rooftop restaurant late that morning. The restaurant was deserted; not a single waiter or customer were anywhere in sight. Whatever happens here today, it's not gonna be good.

His heart was pounding in his chest as he saw her. She was standing by the low wall surrounding the top floor of that building, with her back towards him. She was still so beautiful like she had always been. Twenty-four hours ago, all he had wanted to do was to show her the ring, the same ring, and confess his love for her. But in a second, reality had shown him its cruel side.

In silence, he joined her by the wall, staring straight ahead at the buildings nearby. She did not even turn to face him as she too stared straight ahead.

There was a long forbidding silence between them.

After a long while, she broke the silence, still staring into space. "I know you know who I am." Twenty-four hours ago, all she had wished to do was to leave her past and begin her life with him. But her past had struck her; she can never run away from it. He knew the truth, so she had no choice but to take this step today.

"Yes." Shyam's left hand reached into his pocket as he turned to face her.

Swiftly, she turned to face him, drawing out her gun. Shyam reeled as a bullet pierced his left shoulder and he dropped to his knees.

The ring he had retrieved from his pocket fell to the ground. The sound of gunshots reverberated across his ears. Shyam skipped a breath as he watched her fall to the floor. Patches of blood were slowly staining through her salwar suit where each bullet had struck her. Shyam furrowed his brows upon realizing that they were surrounded by a group of eight policemen.

"How dare you shoot her? She's my wife! I told you not to accompany me here!" ranted Shyam, as he staggered over to her side and tried to take her into his arms.

"Shyam, don't try to save me. I can't live now that you know the truth."

"What are you saying? You are my life."

"No, I am a criminal. I can't live as the wife of a policeman like you." She stuttered amidst gasps for breath.

"You are certainly not a criminal. You are an eye doctor."

"You know my past. You were sent here to kill me, I know."

"Meena-"

To be continued...