Chapter I

April 7th, 1969- Castiel's PoV

Castiel Novak awoke to the sound his mothers' voice, "Castiel James Novak, if you don't get your butt up this instant, I swear-!" She cut off her sentence, not wanting to set a bad example for Ana, Castiel's four year old sister. He groaned quietly, and reluctantly got out of bed. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he tiredly dragged his feet downstairs to the kitchen, where his mother was waiting; his report card on the counter. He immediately stood up straighter, his eyes wide. He had hoped his mother wouldn't ever find it. He'd even made sure to keep it hidden in his room. The only other one who knew where it was hidden was- "Gabriel told me you got your report card, but had lost it. Seems he was nice enough to go looking for it, and brought it to me." His mother explained. Meanwhile, Gabriel, his older brother sat at the counter with a bowl of cereal, a mischievous grin on his face as he ate. Castiel glared at him, but the other only smiled innocently in response. "Castiel, what have you got to say for yourself, huh? A 'D' in History? Really? You know you're never going to get where you want in life with grades like that. You're progress in high school is your most important if you want to go to a good college." His mother had given him this lecture a thousand times. If he got anything lower than a high 'B' in any single class, he got the lecture. That's why he had hid his report card. But of course, Gabriel just had to take it to her. He was always doing that to Cas. Getting him into trouble and what not, when in reality, most of the things Castiel got in trouble for, were really his fault. "Castiel..?" She snapped her fingers in front of his face, "Are you even listening to me? Christ, I swear I will send you to a school for boys if I must. You want to go live like Lucifer?" Lucifer was the second oldest child behind Michael. It went Michael, Lucifer, Balthazar, Gabriel, Uriel (who was adopted), Castiel, Ana, and then the baby, Leliel. And yes, if you were wondering, all of the Novak children were named after angels. Their mother and father were big on that bible stuff.

Castiel finally looked back to his mother after a moment, "I can explain.." He said, though he knew it was a weak attempt. "Really? What's your excuse?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest, her hip leaned against the counter. Everything about her stance said 'You're grounded if you don't have a good enough excuse'. Castiel scratched the back of his neck in thought, looking down at the floor. "I don't have a reason.. The test was just really hard." He said, sighing softly as he looked up at her. She nodded, and sat his report card back on the counter. "You're grounded until your grade is at least a 'B'." She stated, walking over to wear Ana was sat at her smaller, pink plastic table next to the fridge. She picked Ana up, and went upstairs, to get her ready for the day. Castiel turned to Gabriel after their mother was gone, and glared. "You are such an ass." He muttered, being quiet so his mother wouldn't hear, before retreating upstairs to his room. Sometimes, he really hated his brother. His mother always thought Gabe was such an angel, but apparently she didn't know what really happened behind her back.

Once upstairs, Castiel took his time in the shower, letting the warm water run down his skin, relaxing him. When he was finally out, he got dressed in a pair of blue jeans, and a white button up. Over that, he tied a green tie around his neck, a blue sweater vest over that, then his black dress shoe. He wore pretty much the same thing every day. Jeans, button up, tie, and sweater vest. It was just his style. He didn't care if people called him nerd for the way he dressed, or for how smart he was. He sighed and took a quick glance at himself in the mirror, not even bothering to spend the time trying to fix his untamable hair. It was no use. He finally went back downstairs after grabbing his book bag, and went into the kitchen. He got out a bowl, spoon, and box of his favorite cereal, along with the milk, before making his breakfast. He finished not long after, and put his dishes away, then met Balthazar, Gabriel, and Uriel in the living room. They all drove to school together, seen as Balthazar was one of the only others in the family besides their parents that could drive, and had a car of their own.