Prologue

As I played with my toy dolls, I couldn't help but think about what my mom had told me again and again. Carter, you'll be going to kindergarten soon meaning you will have to start behaving better, okay sweetheart? I promise you everything will be okay and that you'll make lots and lots of friends. I shuddered at the thought, looking at my backpack angrily before continuing to run my fingers through my doll Arabella's hair.

"I don't need any new friends. I have you guys." I kept playing with my dollies until my mom came in and helped me clean up, changing me into my pjs afterwards.

"Time to go to bed sweetheart. Tomorrow is a going to be a big day!" I huffed as I crossed my arms over my chest, my mom laughing as she picked me up with ease and gently laying me down on my overly large bed. "I promise you it'll be fine sweetie, okay?" I nodded, holding onto my dearly beloved teddy bear, Ottie while giving her a faint smile.

"But mommy, what if they don't like me?"

"Oh Carter, you're beautiful and the nicest little girl I know. The kids will adore you at your school. I promise." I nodded right as the door opened and in came my dad.

"How's my little girl? Excited for tomorrow?"

"I'm scared daddy. No one will like me."

"Like you? Of course they won't. They'll love you just as much as we do. Go to sleep my little snug bug, we have a big day tomorrow." I just nodded and fully rested my head on my pillow, giving them each a goodnight kiss before closing my eyes, falling into a deep and peaceful sleep with a dream that consisted of a prince, a princess, and a unicorn.

•••

The next day

I woke up with my teddy bear still by my side, dreading to go to school now. My mom walked in a few moments later, giving me a few dress choices to pick from.

"This one will look pretty with that pink little bow of yours. What do you think sweetie?" I nodded eagerly as she gently took it off of the hanger, smoothening it out as she placed it on the edge of the bed, grabbing my pink towel and making me go to the bathroom and rid myself of any clothes while she turned the water on to a warm temperature. "Are you excited?"

"I'm still nervous mommy. No one will like me, even if I am wearing a really pretty dress and give them candies." She laughed at my last comment, turning the water off and drying my body up, making sure there were no remnants of soap on me.

Once she finished with that, my dad walked in and carried me inside my room, wishing me the best of luck before kissing my forehead and leaving for work. My mom continued dressing me, tying up the ribbon to make a small bow front and center. She then started doing my hair, making sure to go easy now that it gets really tangled due to the curliness.

"All set baby. Come on, let's go eat breakfast. I heard some homemade smiley faced pancakes are waiting for a lovely little girl." Smiling lightly, I skipped to the stairwell, hopping and counting each step until I reached the end.

I jumped one last time, making sure my hair bobbed up before smiling in satisfaction and running to the dining room where there was in fact, a stack of pancakes calling my name.

"Pancakes!!" I struggled getting up on the chair until my mom came in and helped me on, reminding me that I was wearing a dress and should be careful not to drop any syrup on it.

I ended up having to put an end to breakfast once my mom checked the time and noticed that it was now time to go so I was quick on jumping down on both feet and scurrying to the bathroom we had down here to brush my teeth.