The Rose Bushes

Every morning she wakes up to the sound of a rooster. Cock-a-doodle-do, her living alarm clock sounds. She goes downstairs to the kitchen where her mother is making eggs and grits for breakfast with a side of bacon. It's the same thing everyday, wake up, eat, home school, rose bushes, dinner, and then bed. Will her life ever change? Will she be able to do what she pleases? Will she ever see the outside world? It's as if her parents have it all planned out for her. They know what she is going o do with her life day by day. They even have her set for an arranged marriage when she turns 18. By then he will be 40 years old. Besides the huge age difference he is a very wealthy man and promises to share his money with her parents. But is it all about the money? What about her happiness?

The only place she does feel happy is when she's alone in the rose bushes behind her house. She goes out there every day and just lies down in the grass. Sometimes she will pick flowers to decorate her room. It's the one place where she can think. She thinks about a lot of things. The way she wants her life to be, what it's like in the outside world, and running away to figure out both for herself. But how would she do it? She lives on a farm in the middle of no where that is surrounded by a bob wired fence.

Later that day she goes inside to the kitchen to eat dinner. Her parents are already sitting at the table eating their food. She wonders why they they did not come to get her. They tell her to sit down and eat her food because they have something important to tell her. She looks at her plate sitting on the table. Meat loaf, mashed poatatoes with gravy, and corn. She sits down and starts to eat. There is silence. "What could be so important that they have to tell me," she wondors. Her heart drops as her parents start to speak. Then the truth comes out, "you are adopted," her parents or who she thought were her parents came out and said. "we adopted you when you were just a baby," her mother said, "I am not able to have children and we really wanted a little girl in our lives that we could call our own". She feels nothing, she just looks at her adopted parents and a tear sheds. She's numb.

She is just a little girl and to find out such horrible news, she sinks. She pushes her plate off the table and watches as the plate shatters on the ground and food flies everywhere. She screams at her adopted parents and runs outside to the rose bushes. She falls to the ground and just cries.  Rain drops start falling on her. She thinks. The Parents she thought were her parents, the people that didn't let her be herself, the people who had her life all planned out, turn out to be nothing to her at all. Just some people who signed some papers to claim her. She thinks about her real parents. What are they like? Where do they live? And most importantly why did they give her away? She wants to find out. She made up her mind. She is finnally gonna run away and find her real parents. Why stay somewhere you hate with people you dont even know and wont let you be yourself? Maybe her real parents will treat her better. But what if they don't? What if they treat her even worse than her adoptive parants? She doen't care; she still wants to leave the farm. She wants to find her parents and finnally be happy.

She runs to her room, slams the door, and then locks it. She packs her bag full of clothes, extra pair of shoes, and valuables. She plans to leave in the morning before the rooster wakes everyone up. She hops into bed and goes to sleep.

Its 5 o' clock in the morning. The sun has barely come up yet so it is still very dark outside. She has to move quickly and quietly so that she doesn't wake up the people she use to call mom and dad. She grabs her bag and heads down the stairs. In th kitchen her adoptive father leaves the keys to unlock the fence. She grabs them. She runs outside and follows the trail that leads to the gate. She sees the sun getting higher in the sky. Is she really going to do it? Will she make it out before her adoptive parents wake up? She rattles the keys and hurries to open the fence. She gets out and closes it behind her. She hears the rooster make its call. She begins running down the road. She hears her adoptive parents yelling and looking for her. "Never again will i go back," she says.

She's been running on the dirt road for an hour. She gets tired and decides to rest and sit down. While panting she looks up and sees cars driving by. She made it! She is finnally in the center of town. She's so excited she doesn't want to rest anymore, she gets up and walks to the town hall. In front of the town hall she meets a boy named Caleb. Caleb is twice her age and knows everyone in town. "Hey aren't you that little girl Katy that lives up in that farm over there?" he asks in a wierd accent. "Yes," she replies in a soft voice, "I'm looking for my parents... my real parents". "I thought those crazy folks were your real parents?" Caleb replied, "rumor has it they had you trapped up in there like a little prisoner or something." "Something like that,"i said, "I just wanted to find my birth parents."

Caleb takes her inside town hall and brings her to the front desk. "I want to find my birth parents," she tells the scruffy old man at the desk. "Certainly," the old man said, "what's your name little girl?" "Katy Renolds," she replied. The old man looks at her shocked and makes a phone call. She hears a woman on the phone. "We found her," the old man said. She hears the woman on the phone begin to cry, "Bring her home". Katy Smiles, looks like her parents have been looking for her all along.

                                                                       To be continued...