The Storm Awakens

The hot wind blew the sands of Jakku wildly. Rey hadn't eaten in a day and a half and she was trying to salvage parts today, she wanted so badly to eat. She was in her usual spot, and the sand seemed to be picking up in a storm.

She had her arm wedged deep in between two gigantic pieces of metal, and her hand was groping blindly, she had to be careful not to twist wrong, one small movement away from snapping her arm. Rey always knew exactly what she needed to do, to be safe. Her instincts were the only thing that kept her alive on Jakku.

She pressed her shoulder in, and felt her fingers brush against something warm, which isn't unusual on Jakku, but it was also soft and furry. It moved, suddenly, and a sharp pain coursed through her finger. Rey exclaimed in pain and yanked her arm back, which was a huge mistake. Her arm caught, and as she tried to pull away from the pain in her hand she wasn't careful.

A loud crack, and Rey knew as her arm came free she had injured her shoulder. She lost her balance and landed onto the flimsy platform hard. It broke, and she fell through, scrabbling with her good arm but she couldn't find a hold.
She fell, down, down, down... And hit the sand. Rey was laying on the ground, barely clinging to consciousness when she realized that whatever creature had bitten her, was still attached to her hand.

The pain from her shoulder and the long fall to the ground finally pushed her under. And she fell asleep.
Sand blew around her, and the storm continued to pick up.

The creature unhooked its teeth from her finger and scampered up to her face. It pulled her cloth mask up over her mouth, and nestled into the fabric around her waist. They slept together peacefully through the storm.

***

(Should I continue this story? Have any ideas? Comment!)