Chapter 1

RAVEN

  "You need to cheer up," My Mother says before taking a sip of her morning coffee, not even taking her eyes off the sleezy gossip magazine she holds in her hand. "This place is lovely. You'll make friends in no time."

  "I already have friends," I repeat myself for what seemed like the thousandth time since we first found out we were moving not even a month ago. "Back in London."

  "But we're not in London anymore, are we?" She tells me, now finally looking up towards me. "You need to stop moping over the situation and just accept it. I've moved away from my friends, too."

  "But it took me forever to fit in at Grandsview," Fitting into my old school definitely was a mission - one that took an entire year to accomplish. "It's going to be like that all over again."

  She pauses for a few seconds, going into her own head and listening to her own voice before putting the magazine down, folding her arms and speaking,

  "The people here are lovely."

  "We've only been here an hour." I use my hands to motion around the kitchen we currently sat in. Our new kitchen. "Everything is still in boxes, we're even sitting on boxes right now having breakfast, the table we are using to put our plates on is... Yeah you guessed it, a box! How do you know the people around here are lovely?"

  "You really need to appreciate the fact that it took your father 2 years to get this promotion," Here we go, the riot act begins. "Every single piece of clothing you are currently wearing was brought either by your Father or me. He worked hard, and they promoted him here. At least show your Dad that you're proud of him."

  "I am proud of him," I defend myself and my current mood.  "It just doesn't seem like such a promotion getting moved out of the Capital city into the bloody countryside, does it?"

  "It's hardly the countryside, Raven, stop being dramatic. We're in a small village now."

  Okay sure yeah, I am probably being a tad bit dramatic - but at 17 years old, I think I'm entitled to be. I've just been moved away from my entire group of friends, from my school that I loved, from my other family members who all lived in London. This sucks!

  My sour face stays well and truly put as my younger brother of 15 years swans into the room, comic book in hands and an annoying smirk on his face.

  "Moaning again are ya?"

  "Shut up, Ben." I roll my eyes, leaning my elbows on the 'table' and sighing deeply, resting my face on my hands under my chin.

  "I don't know what your problem is, I think this place is awesome!" He exclaims.

  "You've had your nose in that comic since we got here, when have you had the time to look around and decide that it's so awesome?"

  "I looked it up online," Jesus, he really is the massive nerd everyone knows him for being. "They even have a comic book shop!" There is actual pure excitement swimming around his eyes.

  "See, you should be more like your brother Raven, looking for the good things instead of focusing on all of the bad."

  "I don't see how a comic book shop makes this any better." I reply.

  "How about this?" Our Mother chirped up again, now a huge smile across her face. Oh no. What has she just thought of? "Why don't you guys take some money and go to the comic book shop? Ben can buy some things for his room to liven it up a bit before the decorators arrive next week."

  "Really Mum?!" Ben exclaims, pushing his black rimmed glasses higher up the bridge of his nose.

  "Yeah," She laughs at his reaction, and then stands up from her seat that is a box full of books, and picks up her purse from the counter, opening it up. "How about... 50?"