Chapter 1

JEON JUNGKOOK

Chapter 1

Bam! Bam!

The echoes of my fists on the leather punching bag bounce in the room. Left. Right. Kick. Left. Right. Kick.

Rip!

I pause, mid punch, to inspect the stream of sand flowing from a gap in the leather. A sigh escapes my lips. Mom's gonna kill me, I think. She just stitched this thing up yesterday.

Like clockwork, I take down the punching bag and lay it on its side.

Within moments, Mom appears by the door. She doesn't waste a moment before dragging me out the door by my ear, nagging all the while. (Never mind that I'm a head taller than her.)

"Jeon Jungkook!" She screeches. "I told you to go easy on that thing! I'm not fixing it until next week! Do you know how loud your punching is? You know wooden cottages aren't soundproof!"

"But-"

"No 'but's!" She drags me into my room. "Put on a shirt, will you? You'll catch a cold."

"It's June," I groan. "I'm not going to catch a cold."

Mom rolls her eyes. "Just wash up and come downstairs for dinner."

"Okay, Mom!" I chirp, knowing she wouldn't stay angry for long. "Love ya!"

"Hurry up!" She calls back before leaving the room.

Better not take too long, I think, stepping into the bathroom. A simple glass mirror stares back at me. The emblems tattoos on my arm are proof of my countless close-combat victories. I turn away and tap on the glowing Aquagem on the wall. Immediately, a stream of cool water fills the stone tub. I allow myself to soak for a few minutes, thoughts drifting.

Have I been accepted to the Wings Academy? Sure, I applied for other institutes, but Wings was the place of my dreams. It's top in the world for magic and combat training, not to mention the legendary headmaster.

I bite my lips nervously. Calm down, Jungkook, I tell myself. You did the best you can. Besides, you'll probably make it, given your combat ability.

As I try to reassure myself, a constant stream of anxiety fills my mind. What about tuition? Even with my combat scholarships, I'm not sure if I could afford to go. What about Mom and Dad? Someone needs to look after the Dragonsnapper farm. With Dad's health, I'm not sure they'd be alright.

I shake water from my golden brown hair. Enough of this. Worrying won't help me now.

Pots and pans scrub themselves under the sink. Silverware sets itself. Mom and Dad ladle soup into simple earthen plates and set them on the table. I smile. There's no magic like home.

I barely get any soup before Leo crashes through the window. The old winged cat drops the mail on the table before padding away to lap at his water bowl.

Dad picks up the pile.

"Spam. Spam. Spam." Dad's voice drones on. "Spam. Coupons." Suddenly, his eyes bulge. "Kooky!" Dad's fist pounds into my back. Even without his old strength, the blow sends a wave of pain up my spine.

"Ow!" I wince. "Dad!"

"Read it!" He shoves a parchment envelope into my face.

My eyes widen to the size of quarters.

The envelope is stamped with a double wing seal.

This is the Wings Academy Insignia.

"Libertatem animi, libertas corporis," I whisper. "Freedom of mind, freedom of body."

I break the seal and remove the letter.

Mr. Jeon Jungkook

Congratulations on your acceptance to Wings Academy, the institute of freedom.

We welcome you as a formal Flier of the Academy.

After throughout review of your application, you have been admitted to our academy with a full scholarship.

Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1st.

We await your reply by no later than July 7th.

Bang Sihyuk

Deputy Headmaster

I smile.

And so, it begins.