Prolouge

The first tremors hit at about one o'clock in the morning, December 21, 2021. I was in my room, trying to go to sleep, when I felt a tremendous shiver go through the house. I'd had a rough day, and had been trying to sleep it off. I got up and ran into the hall, trying to get to my son, who was in his room three doors down from mine. Being only three years old, I was sure he was freaked out. I made it to his room and scooped him out of his"big boy"bed.

"Mommy, why's the house shaking?" He clung to my neck, tears staining his little face.

"I dunno, Okan." I bit my lip to restrain myself from freaking out. I had no idea what was going on.

I carried him down the stairs, hugging him tight. I stumbled out to the lawn as another quake shook the earth hard, almost throwing us to the ground. I caught my balance and staggered toward the community storm cellar the only place I could think of that was safe. As I ran, there was a massive explosion down the street, chucking burning rubble into the street. I managed to dodge the object, but I could feel the heat of the roaring fire from just a few houses away. 'Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod...' I muttered to myself when I realized the burning rubble was, in fact, a human foot. "Okan, look at mommy, ok? Don't take your eyes off my face..."

"Mommy..." Okan wimpered, looking up at my face, thankfully obeying me. "I'm scared..." his tiny chin trembled as we finally made it to the storm cellar doors.

Just as I reached for the doors, yet another convulsion ripped through the ground, throwing me into the cellar, Okan still clinging to my neck. I gripped him tighter as my world began to fade.