Prologue

DEXTER

I CAN barely recall happenings, names, events, everything. A little bit, sure, but not a lot. It was as if I had to hit my head on a rock again and forget all the things I just remembered; rinse and repeat. My mind is like a slate being wiped clean.

There was nothing for me to worry, though. I have people; my family, my friends, my therapist, my servants, and my girlfriend. They're all there to soothe my forgetful mind. They're all there to make me remember and make memories again.

It's kind of a pain in the neck having this condition, actually. Sometimes, you aren't even sure that they're telling you the truth. Most of the time, you believe them, even though what they say isn't that credible to my face. I ask myself sometimes, Was I even that darn brave? Am I that much of a rival to Daring? Did I even love Cupid in the first place? What the hex is wrong with me?

Of course, I can't fight with them. Usually, I just assume that they probably change me a bit for the better. There are times that I think my new life is a lie, but I just live and let be. After all, Mother knows best, right? And besides, there's no one else to trust in this world except for family.

Or are they?

God, I hate having doubts and complete amnesia.

WAIT, I take that back. Actually, there's still a single memory that stayed in my mind before the rest faded out.

It was someone's purple pair of eyes. A lady's eyes, to be particular. They gleamed like amber and cried like waterfalls. I wasn't even sure what I'd do when I see it. It just looked so sad, so sincere, so terrified, so mysterious, and yet.... so beautiful. Will I admire it, comfort it, or just stay away?

Often, it would show itself when I'm asleep. I'm in the middle of a dark forest in a rainy day and it's just there; crying, suffering, looking at me as if I was dying. A voice called for my name, and it too was full of pain.

I stare at it. “What do you want from me?” I ask.

She sobs harder. “Dexter... please!”

“What do you want?!” I demand again.  “Answer me, stranger!”

The voice draws out a pant, more tears falling along with it. “Please don't die for me. Forget me and all, just... don't die.”

A swirly mist surrounds me suddenly. Strangely, unlike the easy, it was blue in color and had a strong grey smoke along with it.

“Who are you?” I ask. “What do you want?! Answer me!”

“Dexter...” it replies. “Dexter, please...”

I then wake up in cold sweat. I look around me; I'm in my room. The view outside my window was the crescent moon and the starry night sky. The photos of the past five years that are pasted on my wall are there. It was all a dream, and I was safe.

It kind of makes me wonder who I was. I've already asked everyone who it was. They all said the same thing: she's the girl who made you sick.

It was kind of ironic, since I live in a world where magic is possible. I've seen every girl in the kingdom and out, and none of them matched the sketch of the lonely orbs I see almost every night.

And that leads me to wonder one thing.

Who is she?

A/N: I just feel the need to tag a few people here. Gah, fine; I'll say it. Kuya CJ, Lizzy, Dinda, and of course, Rebel, this part is for the four of you. 'Cause, really, us Dexven/Rexter fans are too obsessed with 'em.

Anyways, this is MDWI: Prologue, Version 2.0, and I hope you like the new and probably not that improved prologue. Jeez, I wish I can write as amazing as Rebel. I absolutely love her writing style.

So, expect the next update probably a few weeks from now (that is, Chapter 1, and by that, I'm looking at my partner), and along that would probably be a feels fest. Chaa!!

Gotta go. Keep stayin' alive, peeps.

—Blessie