Prologue

Even though the night air was heavy with humidity, Zaire was able to breathe easily. But it felt like someone was stalking him, watching and waiting from the shadows. It could've been his mind playing tricks on him. Ignore it, his mind screamed at him as he let out a relaxed sigh. The bottoms of the red-head's soles squeaked and crunched on the gravel beneath him. He stared at the rocks and kicked at them. His pale hands gripped the seat of the cold metal bench that he sat on. Zaire could feel eyes on his back. Nothing more than your imagination, he reminded himself.

There was absolutely no fucking way that he had anyone in his life or anyone who he had met that would follow him, especially this late at night. The buzz of alcohol was still in the back of his head, almost clouding his thoughts. In this state, his mind strayed to what had just happened. Zaire had almost killed someone. Something he was not proud of. But honestly, he could've cared less. Now everyone would learn, over time, that he was nothing more than just a freak. His eyes had marked him as just that, but he hadn't expected THIS.

A twig snapped behind him and he swiftly turned to look.

Nothing, but almost something, kind of like a shadow, but his drunken mind couldn't quite pick it up. He huffed and looked back down at his dirty, wet, grass covered shoes. Just the wind, your mind playing tricks on you.

You know you're lying to yourself, his subconscious protested loudly.