one

"don't you get bored?"

"of the ocean? never."

tyler turns to take his first look at the boy next to him. his brown eyes glimmering and brown hair ruffled by the wind, he was beautiful. tyler grins and looks back out towards the grey-blue sea, wringing his cold hands together.

it's quiet for a few moments, nothing but the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks and the birds chirping to break the silence. the boy speaks after a few minutes, "what's your name?" he asks.

tyler glances towards him once again, admiring the boys high cheekbones and pursed lips. "tyler joseph, yours?" he answers, smiling at the boy next to him.

"joshua dun, but you can call me josh," the boy-josh-replies, tyler nods curtly and turns his attention back to the waves.
josh want's so badly to ask why tyler is always sat out here, for hours on end; but he is afraid of sounding intrusive.

luckily, tyler seems to read his mind. "my mother liked the ocean.. when she was alive," he trails off, a small smile on his face. josh's heart sinks, "i-i'm so sorry." josh frowns.

tyler giggles, and josh decides its the most beautiful sound he's ever heard. "don't worry about it, i never knew her anyways; the ocean just makes me feel like i did."

josh is silent for a few moments, unsure of what to say; he settles on "that's really beautiful." tyler smiles at this, grinning at josh and bearing a bottom row of crooked teeth.
"really? most people think it's kinda pretentious and weird, i mean they're not wrong.." tyler trails off, giggling quietly.

josh frowns once again, "i suppose they just struggle to understand it," he evaluates, tyler nods his head in agreement, shrugging his shoulders.

there's a moment of awkward silence between the two, both of them struggling to find a topic of conversation. "what are your hobbies? i mean, other than staring at the ocean," josh questions abruptly.

tyler laughs, "i don't just stare at it yanno? and to answer your question; i write and play piano sometimes, i like it quite a bit." josh hums in acknowledgement, "you'll have to play for me sometime, yeah?"

tyler's mood changes slightly and he frowns, "uhh yeah, sometime." he nods absentmindedly, his gaze momentarily flickering onto the horizon.

"i play the drums, my parents hate it." josh adds, attempting to change the subject as it seemed to make tyler uncomfortable. "why do they hate it, are you really that bad?" tyler jokes, his mood perking up.

josh chuckles, "nah, i just never stop playing them i guess, don't really have much else to do." tyler nods in understanding, and allows the two to fall into silence once again.

"i should probably be heading back now," tyler sighs, looking down at his watch with a frown. josh slumps slightly, he didn't really want tyler to go. "oh, well it was nice meeting you?" he smiles slightly, his farewell sounding more like a question than a goodbye.

tyler stands up, brushing off his pale blue skinny jeans and running a hand through his mousy brown hair. "yeah, i'll see you around josh." tyler smiles sweetly before turning around and clambering down from the rocks and onto the beach.

josh watches him slowly leave, "wait, tyler!" he calls out and tyler stops, turning around with a raised brow; urging josh to continue.

"same time tomorrow?" josh questions hopefully, a smile tugging at his lips.

"same time tomorrow." tyler agrees, grinning wildly before turning around with a wave and running towards the pier.