The Calm After the Storm

It's your fault. It's your fault. It's your fault.

The thoughts kept swirling inside Nicky's head, dragging him back to that dreadful night at his parents' house.

It's all your fault. All your fault.

Palms squeezed tightly over his eyes,Nicky let out a small sob. He thought he was over this, he though this father could only bring him to the edge once.

Apparently he was wrong.

What happened to Andrew, it's all on you.

Nicky scrambled over to the bedside table, searching for his phone.

Erik.

He would know what to do.

Nicky dialed, and it went to voicemail.

He hung up.

He tried again.

"Sweet pea, hi,I'm sorry I didn't pick it up, I was in the middle of this thing,and-" Just the voice of Erik, the thick German, made Nicky feel like his soul would burst out of his chest. By some miracle, or maybe telepathy, Erik caught up on it. "Hey, Nicky, is everything alright?"

Nicky took a few seconds before answering. "No." It was barely a whisper.

"Talk to me."There was some shuffling on Erik's side of the line, possibly thenoise of him sitting down.

"It's-" Nicky took a deep breath. "It's my father."

"Did he do something to you?" Erik's voice took on an angry tone.

Nicky sighed. "No,I'm okay." He let out a sad laugh. "It's Andrew."

"Nicky, tell me everything."

Hearing Erik's calmed down voice helped Nicky a bit. "He did something terrible.Years ago." And so, he told Erik about Drake and Andrew, and how Luther lured Andrew into meeting with Drake, and how it all ended. Blythe time he finished, he was crying. "It's all my fault, Erik. If Ididn't ask him to come with us, he would be okay. It's all my fault."

"It's not your fault, Nicholas."

There was a long stretch of silence,where the only thing audible was Nicky's sobs.

"Nicky, listen."Erik said, his voice soothing. "Get in bed and sleep. Get somerset, clear your mind, and I'll call you in the morning, all right?"

On the other end of the line Nicky nodded, but realized Erik couldn't hear him, so he choked out a small "Okay."

"I love you very much." Erik said, and Nicky hung up.

That night there was absolutely no way for Nicky to sleep. The same thoughts kept spinning in his head, on repeat, drowning him.

His tears soaked the pillow, and in the end, he cried himself to sleep.

In his dreams he was back at his parents' house, having dinner with the others.

Nicky saw Andrew get up, his father going in after him, and as soon as his father was inside, he bolted from his chair.

His mother was saying something to him,but he was intent on saving Andrew.

Nicky caught Andrew climbing the stairs, and as he passed his father, he saw the smug smile that sat on Luther's face.

He needed to hurry.

Nicky climbed the stairs, taking two steps at a time, and found himself in the hallway. He rushed to the door, found it locked, and he shoved it open with his shoulder.