Sophie : Potions, Herbology and Muggle Studies. [A Harry Potter Fan Fiction]

Chapter one:

You’ll never know, friends like these.

Sophie sighed; laying back and watching the fields roll in and out of the crystal clear window of her carriage aboard the glistening, scarlet steam train. Sophie could briefly make out the fog as it rolled past her carriage window and down the train. Her destination was around 4 hours off, and it was going to be a long and lonely ride.

            Her blonde hair fell against her cream skin, completely shielding her ice blue eyes from view as the train rolled on, further and further away from her little flat in the south end of London. She was thinking more and more about her mother and her little sister, who, she knew, would worry about her constantly when a soft knock on the carriage door broke her train of thought.

“Hey” a young boy’s squeaky voice sounded from the doorway of carriage 9A “I-is anyone sat here?” Sophie shook her head in reply, but didn’t say a word; reluctantly she opened her eyes to face the boy who had sat opposite her, the charcoal haired boy, with brilliant bottle green eyes smiled at her, his obvious efforts to put the young girl at ease failing miserably.

“Hello” He muttered, his eyes finally locking with hers for the first time. Causing a hot blush to spread from Sophie’s chest and settle at her cheeks, turning them a dusky rose in colour. Her salmon pink lips separating, Sophie smiled for the first time since she waved to her mom and little sister as the train rolled out of platform nine and three quarters, heading towards Scotland.

“Hey” The eleven year old girl mumbled back, her voice a mere fraction of her own and as she spoke it got higher, she was plainly embarrassed and  getting more and more nervous as time grew on “I’m S-s-sophie”. The stranger extended his hand then drew it back sharpish as he heard the sound of a trolley rattling up the aisle, rummaging round in his pocket for any spare cash.

“ ‘Nything from the trolley, dears?” Inquired the voice of an elderly witch, Sophie looked at the plump woman, taking in every detail of her aged face, glistening grey hair and plump body. Sophie shook her head in reply, but the boy looked hopeful, pulling out 5 big silver coins and a few, smaller bronze coins, which Sophie was completely unaware of the meaning to.

“2 red liquorice wands, a chocolate frog and packet of Bertie Botts every flavour beans” the young boy piped up, then remembering what his mother had said to him about manners, he muttered a quiet word of thanks as the goodies got handed to him, and the woman with the trolley padded away, huffing and puffing about the lack of sale on today’s train.

Stuffing one of the wands greedily into his mouth, the boy extended his hand to Sophie once more, which she shook a little reluctantly “Albus Severus” as the boy introduced himself, a sliver of red liquorice popped out of his mouth, which he cheerily released Sophie’s hand to push back in, Then he offered Sophie a wand, which she took, and bit into appreciatively.

They chewed companionably on the wands and the beans for a good half hour, in which time Sophie was explained the concept of the beans and what to expect when Albus opened the chocolate frog. In the time it took for them to reach Outer-Aberdeen Sophie had munched her way through 3 chocolate, 4 toffee, a vomit and a coconut and 4 coffee beans, then as Albus opened the chocolate frog, and Sophie got ready to hit it with a book, the carriage door opened again and a pale, pasty faced, literally white haired boy poked his head through the carriage door.

“Hey. I’m Scorpious” He announced in a rather lordly fashion, taking up the seat next to Albus “Scorpious Malfoy”. Extending a hand to both of them, they smiled lightly at each other.  Sophie noticed that all 3 were wearing plain black robes, which of course meant that they would all be sorted in this “Hogwarts” place tonight. Secretly, Sophie had hoped for Gryffindor but her mother, a proud Raven-claw herself, had told her not to be too disappointed if she didn’t get into the house of the courageous, chivalrous and the daring, but of course she would.