Prologue

Sasha Candaele

Being a hunter is never easy. It's worse when you have an annoying twin brother that thinks he's all that. Anyways, it isn't easy and if you think otherwise, well, I can assure you that you aren't hunting the right kind of things.

Oh, you though we were hunting deer and turkeys and the like? Ha, we're hunting and fighting demons and angels and werewolves. Not exactly your normal hunters, are we? No, we aren't.

Our parents died when we were about twelve, so, of course, our grandparents took us in. It was a couple years later that we really learned what was out there. Pretty soon we were hunters at the early age of fourteen.

It was a riot to hear Bach playing in the living room as Gram knitted and then suddenly a crashing sound and a bang as Gram killed whatever came through the window. Gramps would be minding his own business out on the grill and be affronted by a vampire. Well, instead of having steak for supper, we'd have some rolls because the steak got burned to bad to be salvaged. Pesky vampires.

Anyways, our quiet lives turned upside down when we came across a demon. Oh, we didn't know that he was a demon yet, but what he said should have given us a clue.

"There's something out there," he had said. "There's something in the core of the earth. Something you haven't seen yet. You two beware. You might be the only hope." And then he was gone.

We're only now just finding out what the demon was meaning.