Culture Shock (Complete)

Culture Shock

Bernadette Montano Gabot

On the 25th of March 2011, it was announced to all who took the exam in Saint Louis University and Benguet State University to come visit the guidance counsellors’ office. Everybody knows what that means, the results are already out. During our break some of my schoolmates went there. It was in my mind that they are really excited for college. As for me, I am really expecting that I failed the exam. I thought it might even be useless to take a look at the results. And I already planned to study in the University of Cordillera. But I changed my mind after deciding to take a look the results of the examination. I just thought  that it wouldn't hurt to try and see what the results are. I was surprised when I saw that I passed the examination. That part of my life changed the direction of my life. That's because if I failed, I'll continue with my plan and take engineering course. Why engineering? I am not the best in math but my mother thought it is the best course for me.

On the 12th of April 2011 in the morning, I was asked to enrol in Saint Louis University. Guess what, the event in the enrolment made my path change again. I was supposed to enrol the course, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Human Resource Management. But the campus where I should go if I really took that course is too far. I even told my parents that I will rent a house but they didn't let me. I am the last child in our family and a girl, there a lot of possibilities that something bad might happen to me. So I changed my course. I took Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. I am very happy about it. It was what I really wanted since I was young but I never really imagined that I would study it.

On the 6th of June 2011 is the first day of class. On my way to the university, I felt numb. The feeling of my first day at high school is different from my first day in college. When I got there, I really had a hard time finding the restrooms. There are so many buildings and so many people there. It is really different from high school. I arrived too early there so I have to wait for an hour. While waiting I met another freshmen student. She is taking Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy. She asked me where the PE building is located. I told her but I also gave her the information that I am also new in the university. And I am not really sure if I pointed at the right building. Meeting her made me feel better. I am very happy because my wish came true. Fifteen minutes before class, I went to my designated room. It made me happy, when I've met new friends. My first day went very well. I can describe it as very tiring but exciting. I was very excited of having known a lot of people. But I was also very tired. Every time we go from one room to another we have to walk a lot. There are a lot of stairs. It made me feel like I am Paul in the movie Panda. Because I was really tired, I even slept before the orientation for freshmen. I went home seven in the evening.

The next day is what I call the shuddering schedule. The rooms are close to the other but one subject made me really shudder. It is not the topics but the professor. She got me really shuddering during the period. Even if I put in mind that it is part of the training but I keep shuddering. The day ended well. I went home earlier than expected.

For now, I've got to get used to this kind of life. Soon it will change anyway. I hope to whoever has read this, I want to ask a favour. Please give me advice. I am really having problem still with my confidence.