1

Chamex stared down at the waves as they rushed on shore, licked the tip of her toes, and then retreated back into the sea, crystals of salt remaining on the sand, reflecting the rays of the sun and making the shore look glittery and full of stars.

She dug her fingers through the cold, wet ground and then brought them out, watching as the sand stuck to the tips before dropping off when she squeezed them between her fingers.

She was the only one on the beach. She stood up and walked towards the water, staring at her reflection in it and basking at how silvery her skin looked when reflected. Her reflection moved as a result of the tide coming in and a piece of algae was brought up to the shore.

"Hey!" She heard the husky voice of a grown man yelling at her, and she turned around in shock.

Why was he here on a work day, in the afternoon, when the Fortess has secured everyone over the age of 18 a job?

He was wearing a torn jacket stained with blood and dirty grey jeans and he was shirtless, showing off a pack of amazing abs. He ran towards her, his dirty blond hair scattered everywhere and his face covered in scratches, and he slowly turned from a spot in the distance to a visible human.

Then the ground vibrated at a very tiny frequency. Two men dressed in black jumpsuits and red masks with red boots, keepers of the Fortess's law, she recognized, began to run towards the man in an alarming rate. The man turned around and saw them as well and he picked up his pace, moving with more effort.

"Listen to me!" He yelled at her desperately, "It's not real! None of it's real! They have to be stopped! The password!" He tripped on a pebble and fell to the ground. "The password in 8790! 8790! Run!"

The keepers reached him just before he could fully get up again and they dragged him unto his knees and she saw the flash of the silver edge of the knife before she saw his jugular split in half and the blood spruting from it like it was a water fountain at the Museum of Ages Past. In between the blood, Chamex saw a spark of silver.

The men looked up at her with eyes the colour of fear and Chamex knew with all her heart that she should stand there, she should let them take her and that she should plead for mercy and convince them that she was always going to follow the Fortess - all the right things to do - but something else invoked in her, something she had never felt before in her life - Fear.

Chamex ran.

She headed for the bushes and she didn't look back even though she was absolutely sure that they were coming after her, even more so, when she heard their heavy boots pounding against the ground not to far behind her, but far enough that she couldn't be seen between the trees. She turned around to glance behind her and in a moment, her surrounding changed and suddenly she was lying on the ground.

She looked around her and saw she had fallen off a little cliff which had vines hanging off it. She reached for the vines and pulled them apart to find a little cave, one she had discovered not too long ago. She crawled underneath into the tiny enclosed space just enough to fit her so she could lift her head to see a bit through the vines.

One pair of red boots landed in front of her, raising dust. Another pair followed and the boots lazily moved around slowly, as if searching for her.

"Where did she go?" She heard a raspy voice and she raised her head to get a full view of the guards.

One guard pulled off his mask, and his short dark hair was revealed, his face set in a straight line.

"How would I know?" said the man with his mask off, "I've been with you the whole time."

"This isn't funny James. She saw too much. We need to exterminate her."

"She's a scared frightened girl, she probably would think she saw a bad man being exterminated. Stop worrying."

"You better hope you're right James. Scout once while I head back." The masked guard jumped on top of the cliff and Chamex heard his footsteps retreating away.

James, the unmasked guard, stared down at her in her hiding spot. Chamex wasn't surprised she knew he was there. They had found the cave together.

The guard stared for a few seconds and she brought her face out of the vines and stared back at her brother.

He motioned for her to head back into the cave and held up five fingers which signified she should wait five minutes before heading home. The look on his face also signified that she was in big trouble.

He put his mask back on, hopped back on top of the cliff, and soon his footsteps could no longer be heard.

◉◉◉

Chamex didn't go through the front door. She had the key, but instead she picked up the ladder her father normally used for changing high light bulbs and placed it at the foot of the window, shaky but stable enough to carry her weight without falling. She climbed to the top and then hopped into her room, tip toeing across the dark room to the door.

"Chamex? I thought that was you." Her mother burst into the room. "Can you turn on the light, you're not a vampire or anything. Kids nowadays."

Then the ladder fell. It crashed to the ground and she was sure if her mother was downstairs, she would have heard the crashing amplified by twenty but luckily, she wasn't so it was only a faint sound that could be heard.

"What was that?" She chirped, walking towards the window.

"Mom! Is something burning?" Chamex suddenly blurted out, hoping that her mother was actually cooking.

"My roast chicken!" And just like that, the ladder was forgotten.

Chamex ran downstairs and ran out of the door, just to find that the ladder had seemingly vanished. 

And across the road, Chamex made out the Red Rolls Royce. She would recognize that car anywhere.

It was her brothers'.