Chapter 14

The next day I didn't get my usual 8:30 wake-up call. I didn't get a wake-up call at all. Lex hadn't been in my room to wake me up. That was strange because he usually did. So when I woke up and checked the time on my phone it said 9:30. And hour more than usual. Which was weird.

I got dressed in a pair of bell bottoms and a light cream crop top with spaghetti straps. I wore a pair of flat pale pink shoes. I put my hair, which was wavy, in a ponytail to the right. I walked out with light makeup on and ventured into the living area.

Lex wasn't in there, at all. He was somewhere but not in the living area. Do I have to be curious and take a look around? I knocked on The security guard's door. No answer. No sound was coming from their room. I knocked on the bathroom door, no answer. I looked in Lex's room but all I saw was an empty bed.

Where is everyone? And why did I get the feeling something was wrong? Something felt, off. Not bad, just off. As if today wasn't supposed to go this way. I had planned to go to the pool, that was it.

I made my way down to the lobby and into a door that said 'pool.' Like that wasn't obvious. Good thing I thought to wear my new bikini under my clothes. Lex and the two bodyguards were lying in a chair that lounged out. Lex had on a pair of black swimming trunks. The other two were fully covered but with tan shorts and a grey muscle shirt.

"Didn't get my wake-up call," I said turning heads. Funny, there were three more people here, an older man, a man who looked as though maybe he was in his early 20's, and a woman close enough to 40.

"Ebony," Lex said getting up, "I thought I would let you sleep this morning, no need to wake you up early."

"It would have been nice if you'd have left a note or text," I said. He sighed. This was cute. The boy that was there kept staring at me. He had brown hair, more red looking. Eyes were deep blue.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you Eb, I just thought I would do something nice for you, let you sleep, and then maybe we could relax by the pool, and later I wanted to take a stroll through Rome."

"So a romantic walk through Rome was supposed to make it better?"

"Well not a romantic walk just a nice stroll with my best friend," he said. Ouch, that hurt. Maybe he didn't feel the same as I did.

I let it go and took a seat about 8 feet from Lex. I was getting light until a shadow appeared over me. I hated when someone stood right in my light while I was trying to relax. I had taken my shirt and pants off and folded them beside me. I looked up. That cute guy was hovered over me.

He gave me a grin. I knew Lex was watching. I could feel his eyes on me. If he wanted to lose a chance with me that was fine, I would just talk to another man. Who cares if I did, he didn't act like he was interested anyway.

"Can I help you," I asked a spark of sarcasm playing off my lips.

"Yes, I didn't quite get your name," he said. He was American. Oh my god.

"Ebony," I said bluntly. I didn't care for him knowing my name.

"I'm Carson," he said. Wow, he was cute. Of course, so was a monkey. But he was more cute than a monkey.

"Well Carson not to be rude but you're blocking my light," I said he chuckled and moved to the side. I knew Lex was watching.

"Ebony, would you mind, there is a party tomorrow night, could I maybe get you to be my date," he said. I didn't know him and that's what I told him.

"Well I know that but it's going to be right here in the hotel, there's an entire room, the dining actually, that will be full of people, the party is to honor, my mother," he said pointing at the woman. Well, now I see why he was there, helping his mother out. But Lex didn't take an interest so maybe I should.

"Sure, as long as there's no touchy going on, I'm in," I started he smiled, "But why is it for your mother."

"Because she's taking over the hotel."

"Oh I see, when is that supposed to happen," I asked. He studied that for a second.

"In about a week," he said. I wasn't going to be here. Well, some things happen.

"Anyway, I'll wait in the lobby for say about 8," he said. I agreed just so he'd walk away.

If there was one thing I knew, it was how to party. I loved to dance and watch the happy couples laughing. Sad though, I was alone. But tonight I had a date with a young man who seemed friendly and kind. Lex watched as I grabbed my clothes, excusing myself to the locker rooms.

I placed my clothes on texted Lex to meet me upstairs, then went straight to my room. I took my swimsuit off and put my clothes back on. A few minutes later Lex came into the room and sat down on the couch. I walked out of my room and into the living area where he was. He smiled slightly not the same as usual.

"Are you ready to go eat something, or order room service again," I said. He got up.

"I was thinking about, why don't you go ahead and do something of your choosing, I don't want to be in charge of everything you do," he said. He sounded upset. And he looked upset.

"Lex is something wrong," I asked. He grinned the same way he does when he doesn't wanna fight about something.

"Everything is perfect, I'm just tired, I think I'll go lay down for a while," he excused himself.

The rest of the evening, I was alone, picking out a dress for the party. Little did I know that someone else had been invited.