Chapter 16

I studied that book once I was back at the hotel. Something about it made me finch bit said I was to be destroyed by the ship and saved by the anchor. What did that even mean.? Maybe something to do with someone being like a ship selling the oceans. Someone else is the one to hold me down in times of despair.

A knock on the door made me jump, I put the book under my pillow and opened the door. I wore a thin silk gown again. When I opened the door, Lex was standing there. He had on sweats and no shirt. I told him to come in but he refused.

"I came to say that I have decided to fire you, for your safety," he said. What did that mean and why was he being so moody?

"What, no I love my job," I said. He sighed.

"Ebony, I think you know just as well as I that this is dangerous he's sending people after you," he said. I didn't care and that's what I told him.

"Please let me keep you safe, that's all I ask," he said. I didn't care about that either.

"Believe me, I can handle things myself," I said walking into my room. He followed and got down on his knees in front of where I sat.

"Bunny, I can't protect you if you're off doing exactly what he's trying to hurt you for," he said. But I didn't want to leave Lex. That was the point. He didn't know that but I wanted to stay with him.

"Lex, why do you care what happens, best friends or not, I have to learn to deal with these things," I said trying to get him to see. He sighed and put his hands on my upper arms.

"Eb, I care about you we're best friends, I don't want anything to happen to you, I'd never forgive myself," he said. Something he wasn't saying made me believe if I told him what was going on in my head, he'd rethink.

"I don't want to leave you Lex, I want to stay with you, I love being with you, we are so close, I don't want that to go away," I confessed. He got closer to me.

"Oh Eb, why didn't you tell me, I didn't ask for you to move out, I want you to forget the merger forget trying to buy out your father's company, I don't want you to leave the mansion it's a lot safer there," he said putting his hand on my face.

"How else am I supposed to protect you," he said. My heart melted. Could he possibly feel the same way? I hoped so.

"Okay, I'll lay low for a while, but I want my father's company," I told him. He smiled and shook his head.

"Stubborn and bullheaded just like me, that's why I admire you so much," he said. My heart skipped a beat. He grinned at me and then hugged me before getting up.

"Now get some rest," he said walking out.

I loved Lex and I didn't know his feelings but j knew I wanted him. I understood what most people felt when they were with someone they truly loved. I did truly love him. And I knew Lana and Chloe would never let me hear the end of it but I didn't care. I loved Lex Luthor.