[ 1 ]

"But in that space in time I was too young for you."

-

Central High School - Louisville, Kentucky 2013 . .

"Fuck."

I shook the lock on my locker for what seemed to be the 5th time in a row, and soon would be the last.

Senior year was finally coming to a close as the Kentucky heat invaded bringing in beginning signs of summer.

"Girl, why do you even use a lock? You know they shitty as hell."

My best friend, Amaya, laughed looking at me as she leaned against her locker.

" 'Maya, maybe if ya' ass used a lock your shit wouldn't of stayed getting grabbed all year. You know these underclassmen grimy."

I chuckled referring to her countless number of items that had been stolen from her locker throughout this year. From jackets and make up to even library books.

Who the hell steals library books?

She sucked her teeth before continuing, "Whatever girl, you might as well leave whatever you got in there. We out this hoe!" she popped her tongue out her mouth doing a mini dance.

I couldn't help but laugh at her never ending goofy personality.

"You are too much, but nah I have my bag in this jawn."

I jiggled the lock again starting to become frustrated.

"Open. The. Fuck. U-"

I mumbled under my breath between each shake before someone else's hands took over the lock.

D'angelo.

"Damn, I can hear your ass shaking this shit from down the hall Nia."

He shook his head with a smirk winding the tab around the numbers.

"D, you need to chill with that sneaking up shit." Maya argued looking up from her phone.

"Hey to you too Maya." He chuckled.

"Lo, I can do it." I sighed looking up at his 6 foot frame.

"That's what you said all year. And all year I sa-"

I cut over him mocking his voice. "Nia move lemme do it, you're so hot headed with shit."

I mocked his voice as he sucked his teeth.

"See this why I don't do anything for your ungrateful ass."

His lips came to a small pout as he looked over to me, I laugh a little pinching his cheek.

Me and D'angelo had been friends since 2nd grade, and neighbors even longer.

Between him and Amaya, it seemed we were partners in crime. Them more of the schemers than me.