Prologue

"Good afternoon passengers. This is your captain speaking. First I would like to welcome you to...."

Sayma tuned out the captain's announcement in favour of leaning back and closing her eyes. It had been one hell of a month. Yet, it seemed like only yesterday that she was listening to stories from her grandma and laughing with her.

This was not supposed to happen. Everything was just fine. Her eldest brother had gotten married six months ago. Everyone in the family was so happy. It seemed the happiness was too much. Tragedy struck her family a month ago. Grandma had her third stroke and finally carried on to afterlife.

Sayma never cried in her life as much as she cried that day. When everyone was carrying her away in a cot to bury her, all Sayma could think was 'come back, come back'. Her mother had to restrain her from going after the men who was carrying her grandma.

"Women are not allowed to go to graveyards. You cannot go." Her mother told her.

But Sayma was not one to give up. "I have to go, Ammu. I have to go with her and say goodbye."

"She is gone, moina." Her mother addressed with her given nickname, knowing it would calm her down. "All you can do now is pray that her soul might rest in peace."

Sayma buried her face in the her mother's neck and cried. She cried like she had never cried before. By the end of the day, she felt so exhausted that she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. That night and many of the following nights, all she saw in her dreams was grandma. Laughing and telling stories like she used to do. Though over time, the overwhelming hurt and grief eventually decreased, Sayma still felt the pain and sadness when remembering her beloved Grandma.

The next week, her father said that they were going to shift to America, some town called Beacon Hills in California. Apparently, he was friends with a police officer of that town. When asked why the sudden shift, he would answer, "We need a fresh start."

That was not a lie. After Grandma's death, they did need a fresh start. Her father's business here could be handled by his trusted friend. He had been thinking of moving to America for quite a while now. But after Grandma's death he decided to finally act.

The next two weeks were spent in preparation. It helped that her father had friends in high places who helped go through all the processes in weeks instead of the months it would originally take.

Now they were on board the flight to Beacon Hills, CA. Sayma opened her eyes when her mother called her for something or other.

"Humaira wants to sit beside you." Her mother said. Humaira, Sayma's twelve year old cousin, her paternal aunt's daughter. Her aunt's family was also moving with them. Her aunt, uncle, their son Sakib and their daughter Humaira. Sayma loved Humaira like her own sister. She did not have her own sister after all.

Humaira's father did not have a good relation with his family. So he decided to move along with his wife's family. Now they were going to live together in America.

Humaira, though 4 years younger than Sayma, was her best friend and confidant. Sayma told her everything, from the smallest thing to her biggest secret, everything. Humaira was her little sister. She pampered her and disciplined her.

Sayma's eldest brother and his wife were also moving with them. He had got a job in a company in Sacramento. Her second brother was not moving with them for the time being as he was a doctor and had to attend to his duties in the hospital where he worked. The contract he signed there would last one more month. Then he too would move to America.

To the present again. "Yeah, no problem." Sayma said. Her mother nodded and got up. She moved just as Humaira came to sit beside Sayma and moved to the seat right in the back, Humaira's previous seat.

Humaira practically bounced on the seat. "Apu, apu, apu, apu ..... " She almost screamed.

Sayma winced. "What is it, Humaira?"

"Oh, c'mon, Sayma Apu, aren't you excited?" Her smile could light up the whole room.

Sayma nodded lightly. "Yes."

Humaira frowned. "You do not look excited."

"I miss Grandma," Sayma said. At that, Humaira's expression became one of sadness. She loved her maternal Grandma as much as Sayma. She got the love and affection from her that she should have gotten from her father's mother. But, as mentioned before, bad relations.

Humaira sighed. "I miss her too. But I am sure she would not want us to be sad for her. She would want us to enjoy and have fun."

Sayma took a deep breath. Humaira was right. As childish as Humaira was, sometimes she could be the more mature one of them.

She nodded. "You are right. She would."

Humaira beamed, happy at the knowledge that she managed to break through her sister's forlorn attitude.

"The movie will start in a while," Humaira said. "I hope they show some Bengali or Hindi movie. I cannot understand a word they say in those English movies."

Sayma shook her head, smiling. "You don't understand what they say in movies. You will be living with Americans from now. How will you understand them in real life?"

"That's what you are there for, Miss English Medium." Humaira answered cheekily, referring to Sayma's education in English Medium school.

Sayma made an irritated noise and hit Humaira on the head lightly. Humaira retorted by slapping her shoulder, which made Sayma slap her back, which resulted in a few more light slaps before the adults stopped them.

The movie started after a while. Humaira and Sayma both watched the movie with rapt attention. Fortunately for Humaira, the movie was a Bengali one. As they watched, Sayma dozed off at the middle of the movie. The last conscious thought in her mind before sleep came was that may this shift would be good for her and her family.

Little did she know, a whole new life-changing adventure was awaiting her at Beacon Hills.

---------------------------------

A/N : This is a SI fic and my first teen wolf fanfic. Please tell me how I did for a start. Few things, 'moina' is the name of a bird and also a term of affection used by many mothers for their daughter. 'Apu' is what elder sisters are called in Bengali, especially by the Muslims. And all the talks above is in Bengali.