Chapter 1: Narrator POV

A bird whistled. Asher followed the sound. She was stuck in the woods and her only hope was a bird. She would have laughed at herself if she wasn't so worried about being lost. After stumbling on a pile of twigs, she picked herself back up and headed for what she thought was a light, just past a couple of trees...

Asher came flying up from her bed, feeling uneasy.
I guess it was just a dream. Why did it feel like reality?
She lifted her legs off the bed and onto the cold, hardwood floor. A sound of pitter-patter drove her eyes toward the window; it was raining.
What time is it?

Her eyes lingered towards the window again, but this time she noticed that there was a green envelope with a metallic star stuck to the corner of the envelope in between the pane and the screen.
Again, Peyton? How are you even opening my window screen?
She opened her window and took the wet envelope, rubbing it with her hands. She then ripped it open vigorously, exposing the written letter inside. As she unfolded the letter, she began to read;

Asher,
Meet me near the dock at 7. Don't be late! I have something to tell you.

-Peyton

Asher started to shake her head as she gave a chortle.
Why do you always have to be so lame and mysterious? A simple text would work.
The alarm clock read; 9:13 am.
I guess I should go see if dad has breakfast ready.

Her short, little legs scrambled downstairs as she ran towards the kitchen. Dad usually has breakfast ready by 9:20. She could smell the hash browns frying already.

"Morning, Dad. Hope you slept well. What's for breakfast?"

"Hash browns and eggs... I know, I'm sorry."
Asher knew he was going to say that. She had already grabbed a banana from the edge of the counter, next to the sink. Her dad placed the food on plates and set them on the table.

"When will you get used to me being a vegan? This has been going on for months now."

"I'm just waiting for you to completely give up," He chuckled. "You'll want pizza or something sooner or later!"

She laughed. "Whatever!"

Asher hadn't realized she had eaten so fast until her plate was empty, compared to her dads half-way finished plate.
"Hungry there..?" Her dad said, cautiously. "Haven't seen you eat like that before."

"Really? I guess I'm just excited. Oh right, that reminds me! Peyton told me to meet him at the dock tonight at 7, and I was wondering if I could go. Could I?"

Her dad got up and walked over to the other side of the room. He made made a loud screeching noise with his plate as he scraped the remaining food bits into the trash.
"I don't know, Ash. To the dock? With Peyton?"

"What do you mean? You've always trusted me around Peyton." He walks over to put his plate in the sink, as well as Asher's.

"Yes, but you guys are getting older. You're in high school now. I don't know... We have to be cautious."

"Oh please can I go dad? I promise, you can trust him. He's still the same old Peyton."

He shook his head as he hesitated. "Fine, you can go. But I want you back no later than 8. Understand?"

She jumped up from the table in excitement. "Yes dad, don't worry about me. I'll be fine." She headed towards the coat rack in the living room to get her favorite jacket; a gray zip-up jacket with the letters "Homebound" attached to the front in another dark grey fabric, letters outlined in black. She liked the jacket, even though she had no idea what it meant.

Grabbing her shoes next to the door, she sat down on her giant, brown checkered couch and started to put them on. They were her favorite black converse, worn out over the years.
I'm surprised they still fit to this day.
"Where are you going?" Her dad called out. "I thought you didn't have to be there until 7."

"Just out." She yelled, unenthusiastically. Before he could answer, she was already up and out the door.