Red Light Special

*Play the Youtube video to enhance your reading experience*
1994

Raindrops cascaded from the heavens on this mild spring night in New York City. For once, the city that never sleeps was in a light slumber. There wasn't many cars crowding onto the city streets to impatiently honk their horns, and there weren't many people pounding on the pavement with purpose, nor was there any vendors trying to get these busy bodies to buy their various street foods and knick knacks - all the elements that created the typical bustle of the Big Apple. Night had fallen, and for what seemed like the 100th time this month, it had been raining like crazy. Despite the unusual quietness of the city, the familiar skyline lit up, illuminating the coastal waters and creating a beautiful backdrop for the Statue of Liberty. The scene was absolutely breathtaking.

On 42nd street, the laughter of two best friends echoed and filled the streets of New York's "Red Light District."

"Tasha, I can't believe we ended up here! Some birthday huh?" one of the voices said in between chuckles, throwing his arm around his best friend as they stumbled out a black limo.

"Mike, this is the best birthday ever! Woo-hoo to turning 32!" hooted Tasha, wrapping her arms around her best friend Michael's torso for support as they tried to escape the pesky rain.

Michael and Tasha were celebrating her 32nd birthday, the festivities starting with a surprise breakfast in bed and a party with their closest friends. Tasha wasn't expecting Michael to come, given the fact that he lives in California while she resides in New York. The two became fast friends back when Michael's younger brother, Randy, was crushing on Tasha during the days of The Jacksons. Michael used to tease Randy all the time about her, knowing that Tasha didn't feel that way for him as she would often tell Michael, but it was funny to see her turn his persistent little brother down time and time again. The two quickly bonded through this laughable experience. Michael couldn't miss his best friend's birthday as he's been longing to see her in person ever since his legal troubles had started. Tasha had been busy with her film career, but whenever Michael called she dropped everything to listen to his woes, sorrow, and troubles. So, when Tasha's birthday was nearing, Michael thought it would be a great idea to go to New York to see his best friend to reconnect and escape California. After the gathering at Tasha's place, the two wanted to get out and spend quality time together; however, they didn't want to go to the same old places. Back in Michael's Studio 54 days, he had learned about New York's secret Red Light District. It wasn't no Amsterdam, but it had that classic New York charm that made it okay. Never actually having a chance to experience it with his best friend, the two decided to move the party to the streets. They had said their goodbyes to their friends and took the limo, sipping on a few glasses of champagne on the way to their destination.

"Shhhh!" Michael placed his finger upon his giggling friend's lips, urging her to be quiet as they walked down the quiet sidewalk.

When their laughter died down, the only thing that could be heard was the soft pitter patter of the rain as it began to relent, the clicking of Tasha's heels, and the faint flickering of a neon light sign the two had walked past.

Pure Pleasures Sex Shop, it read.

Two doors down from the store was a small black building. It wasn't flashy on the outside and their was simple white lettering above the entrance:

Cream

What caught Michael and Tasha's attention was the sexy music that slithered out the cracks of what seemed like a club. The two decided to go in out of curiosity and adventure.

What they saw was nothing like what they expected.

It was a strip bar. The roomy space was painted black and the lighting was essentially dim - red lights flooded the sultry environment and illuminated stages that had poles in the middle of them. Topless dancers adorned these silver poles while serving and entertaining, creating sexy shadows against the red backdrop. There was a main stage along with several smaller, more private stages fit for V.I.P guests. Facing the main stage was a bar, which Michael and Tasha made their first stop at.