Lost Puppy

They are my owner. And i am their little puppy dog. Rescued from a shelter one day. The owner just lost their puppy and has nothing to love or receive love from.

I am the backup plan.

I go home with my new owner and live life to the fullest. Everyday is a new adventure for me and a new night sky has appeared. I am taken on wAlks and such, indulging in something i have never felt before. That is when everything changes.

After a week of happiness and me getting the owner back on their feet and happy, and they did the same to me. Only was i to find that i would be pushed off of my feet again, but this time by my new owner.

One day, the other puppy came back. The owner rejoices, and i am just an afterthought, left in the dust. The dog comes and goes as it pleases, leaving the owner sad every time and starting to notice me again.

This repeats for years. Left behind. Lost. Dieing. The dog comes back. Even when it leaves. The owner hallucinates and believes it is still there. Not noticing it is a ghost. The other puppy has found a different owner. One it wants and it totally disappeared.

I am just the observer. Waiting to be fed. Following them around like their puppy dog. Still. Im not noticed. I do tricks and try my best to be noticed, but nothing works. Hoping that the bright smile your owner had will return. Hoping they will be happy it is you.

I am always next to them, waiting for them to turn their head and notice my brail bones shaking. Always next to them, not leaving, and stuck to them like glue.

When will my owner realize the other puppy is gone for good. When will they realize me scratching at their leg. I need to be fed and loved. I guess it hurts more when you know what you are missing. I had never been loved. When i love someone, they don't love me back.

But again it dawns on me....

I am just an afterthought

Authors note.
Comment or like if u have ever been and afterthought, backup plan, or a second choice.