1

Serena darted through the patches of flowers, either unable or unwilling to stop the constant giggles that were bubbling past her lips. Her raven ringlets bounced against her shoulders as she ran, pumping her little arms as hard as she could with the determination only a seven-year-old could display while playing a game of tag.

"I'm gonna get you!"

The call came from behind her; a playful, familiar voice that made affection surge up in her heart at the same time that she squealed with childish excitement. She did not bother to glance at the person chasing her, just picked up her pace, trying to match it to her now-racing heartbeat. She was not scared – of course she was not scared. Not with him here. She was just exhilarated, and she hated to lose any games.

She heard his footsteps stop before she felt the change in the air. She spun around, planting her hands on her hips and a petulant pout on her face as she looked at him.

"Why aren't you playing?" she demanded. She wanted to win, like she always won games against him. He was big and strong and fast, but she always won anyway. She was only seven, however, so she never wondered how that could be; she just figured she was good at games, and he would smile and nod very seriously when she said so, as if he had never agreed with anything more.

He was always there, always agreeing with her. Ever since she could remember. If a tutor made her angry, he would soothe her, but listen to her tantrum as if nobody had ever said anything so important. If her mother scolded her, and she complained about it to him later, even then, even though it was her mother she was complaining about, he would be on her side. She had gotten upset with him so rarely, because it was so hard to be displeased with someone that was bonded to her in ways she could not understand; however, the few times she had, his face had crumpled, and he had looked destroyed as he got on his knees before her and begged for her forgiveness and love to return to him. As if he could not live without it.

These memories fueled Serena's impression of him, whether or not she was yet old enough to comprehend all of the implications and facets of them. For now, she knew only that he was a sturdy presence in her life. More than a friend, different than a member of her family: a beloved caretaker and companion that nobody else she had ever met came close to comparing to. It was as though her blood called to his, and vice versa. It was always harder for either of them if they were apart, and Serena remembered many a time when they had been separated by someone – her mother, her servants, her tutor – and she had screamed and cried and kicked her feet until they had brought him back. Then she crawled onto his lap like the child she was, and he would wrap his strong arms around her as if she was the most valuable treasure in the world.

When they were together, it was inevitable that they would both be smiling, or at least that one would force happiness out of the other within moments if they were upset. And the game of tag had been so fun, and they had both been laughing – which was why Serena was so confused when she noted the flicker of worry in his grey eyes, the frown plastered on his face.

"Tarin?" she whimpered, immediately noticing now that the high of the game had evaporated that something was wrong. They were near the edge of Lymeryth Forest, the woods that bordered the city on two adjacent sides. Woods that Serena had never feared, not for a moment of her seven years of life. Woods that were as familiar as her own home. Until now.

Because she was now feeling what Tarin must be feeling. There was a darkness beyond them, something that was coming closer. The forest was silent – in fact, now that her giggles had been cut off, there was not a sound to be heard besides her and Tarin's breathing. Her own pulse began to race in her ears as well.

"Tarin, what is that?" she asked, her voice nothing more than a whisper. She found herself shuffling away from the edge of the forest, the fabric of her dress making rustling noises that made her cringe in the tense silence. All she wanted to do was be next to Tarin. He comforted her with his words, his strength, his very presence. She knew that, regardless of what was in that forest, she was safer when she was beside him.