Chapter 11: Feelings Never Disappear

~ A Month Later ~

It was mid April. School was back in session. People talked about what they did on vacation. And others just did whatever. The end of the year dance was coming up, and everyone was searching for a date.

Riley and Lucas officially started dating a few weeks ago. I've never seen Riley so happy. If she's happy, then I'm happy. I slowly walked up to my locker to get my books for next class. I closed my locker to see Riley right in front of me. I almost shrieked.

"I told you not to startle me like that!" I said, smirking. Riley looked down, trying to hide her smile. "Oh, sorry! Anyways, I have big news!" She exclaimed. I plastered a smile on my face, trying to seem happy. "What is it, Sunshine? You seem really excited," I replied, happiness straining in my voice. News flash: It was fake.

"Lucas gave me a promise ring last night on our date! There's an inscription on the band that says, 'You and me forever.' Isn't he the best?" Riley said, showing me her ring. No, he's not. In fact, Lucas is the complete opposite. He's the worst. For stealing you from me. I reluctantly smiled, feeling dull inside.

After I told Riley that I was in love with her, everything had been weird between us. We looked and treated each other differently. I had gotten in the way of our friendship. And I could tell Riley hated me for it. Now, a month later, she was oblivious to the fact that I was in love with her and tried to rekindle her relationship with Lucas. Which worked successfully.

And after that, I tried to act oblivious to the fact that I was hurting inside. And that my full of color world was slowing fading. "Yes, you're lucky you have a boy like him, Riles," I muttered. Riley smiled, brightness filling her eyes. I just wanted her happy. Her happiness is everything to me. She's as bright as a star. My star.

The bell rang, indicating that classes were starting. I headed for the front door instead of going to Mr. Matthews' classroom. Riley was too busy walking to class with Lucas to notice me. Which was fine. Suddenly, I saw a silhouette of a fairly tall boy. I walked closer to him and saw Farkle, smoking a cigarette.

I kept myself from strangling him. "You're a fucking liar, Minkus," I muttered, crossing my arms. Farkle turned his head, his eyebrows furrowing together. "You know I'm not the only 'fucking liar'," he muttered back, putting the cigar back in his mouth.

I shoved Farkle to the ground. He fell in the grass as a result. "What the hell, Maya!" He yelled, standing back up. I tried my best not to let my sadness take over. "You told me you were done with smoking because it didn't help with stress! And look at you! You fucking lied to me! Forget it. I'm done wasting my time on you. Have fun dying," I rasped, venom dripping off my words.

Silence. "Maya, I know Riley lied to you. In some way," Farkle said, rubbing his elbow as if it was hurt. My eyes burned into Farkle's. "H...How....That doesn't matter. What matters is that I have no one on my side anymore." Farkle walked up to me and grabbed my arm. I tried to get out of his grip.

"No one is on anyone's side anymore! You think I have any true friends left? No! Even Riley is drifting away from me, and we've been friends since day one. So suck it up, you little....." Farkle was interrupted by a small, feminine voice. "I wouldn't finish that sentence if you want to prove your loyalty to me."

I turned my head to see Riley, her eyes losing its light. Farkle immediately threw his cigar on the ground and smushed it with his foot. "Riley, it's not what it looks like, I can...." "Oh, I can explain. Blah, blah, blah. I'm not that innocent, sweet girl anymore, Farkle. You can't get away with things like that. You don't mess with my friends. Got that?" Riley shot back, crossing her arms.

Farkle slowly walked back to the school front doors, looking down. I blushed, and it was too late to hide that. "You didn't have to do that, Ril..." "Yes, I did, Peaches. No matter what happens, standing up for you will never change. Even if you don't stand up for me. Now, we should get to class," Riley said. She then put her hand out.

Oh. I'm supposed to hold her hand. I slowly intertwined my fingers with Riley's. It just felt different holding Riley's hand because I knew Lucas held it, too. Lucas and I used to be best friends, but that went down in flames. Lucas kind of figured out that I 'liked' Riley and eventually figured out that I was in love with her. He then acted oblivious to the fact that I had feelings and took Riley under his wing when she came to him.

I knew at that moment that Riley's supposed feelings for me never changed. Yeah, she was acting like nothing happened. But I just...knew.

~ After school, 6:30, in Riley and Maya's bedroom ~

"Maya, does this look good on me?" Riley was having a hard time picking out an outfit for her date with Lucas, and she kept asking if the outfit looked good on her. I sat at the bay window, hugging a pillow. "Does it matter? Lucas loves you no matter what anyway!" I called out to Riley.

Riley then came out of her bathroom, wearing a blue dress that was long in the back. There was blue lace at the ends, and there was a silver belt under Riley's breast. "But there is a dress code at the restaurant we're going to!" she exclaimed, crossing her arms.

My mouth dropped open. I couldn't help it. Riley just looked so.....beautiful. I could see Riley's face slightly flush pink, but it quickly disappeared. Riley walked closer to me and brought my chin up so my mouth would close. My cheeks turned pink.

"So....Does it look good on me?" Riley asked me, lacing her fingers together. I stood up, and plastered a genuine smile on my face. "Riley, you look amazing. You should only be dressing like that for people who really deserve you," I said, truthfully.

Riley placed her hand on my shoulder. "Well, I know Lucas deserves me. You deserve me, too. That's why we're best friends. We deserve each other," she said, putting a smile on her face. Riley and I then locked eyes with each other. Her chocolate orbs were so beautiful. One of a kind. My star.

Our faces were only a few centimeters apart. I was in the moment. I didn't think. I started to lean in more into Riley's face. Surprisingly, she didn't stop me and started to lean in, too. Our lips almost latched together when Topanga yelled from downstairs, "RILEY! LUCAS IS HERE!"

Riley backed away from me, biting her lip. I looked down, trying to hide my tears. "Y...You should go. You said it yourself. Lucas deserves you. And the person that deserves you is waiting downstairs," I sniffed, lacing my fingers together.

I looked up to see Riley give me a look of pity, but it quickly disappeared as fast as it appeared. "Y...Yeah. I'll be back in an hour," she said, grabbing her jacket and purse. She closed the door, leaving me to silently cry.

She doesn't really love Lucas, I thought. You would've pushed me away real quick.

Which means she's leading him on. Just like she did to me once. I still have a chance.

.............................................................................................................................................