Chapter 1: Your Body Is A Wonderland

Sam watched intently as an unfamiliar woman approached the fire pit, her face illuminated by the flickering flames of the fire. His calloused fingers continued to flawlessly stroke the fret board of his acoustic guitar, though he was distracted by her presence. Her light brown hair cascaded in waves over her shoulders and down her back. A cool May breeze blew a few strands into her face and Sam envisioned pushing them away. 

Amanda sat down across from him and studied his fingers as they delicately picked the fragile guitar strings. She admired his talent. As she glanced up at him, Sam noticed her eyes were unlike any he'd ever seen before. They were mesmerizing; a combination of green and amber, with flecks of gold that shimmered in the light of the fire. Her skin was like porcelain. 

He inspected her from head to toes. She was wearing a black fitted halter dress that hugged her petite body tightly. A silver treble clef necklace hung from around her neck. Her legs looked smooth and slender. He imagined running his hands up them to where her dress fell. She was immaculate. He had to know her. 

"Sing something, Sam!" one of the girls leaning over the edge of the deck called out flirtatiously. 

Amanda rolled her eyes as Sam smirked and began to play a familiar song.  

"We got this afternoon, you got this room for two. One thing I've left to do. Discover me, discovering you," he sang alluringly. His voice was low and modulated, and the lyrics rolled off of his tongue. 

"One mile to every inch of, your skin like porcelain. One pair of candy lips and your bubble gum tongue." He winked at Amanda, who seemed slightly uncomfortable. She attempted to avoid his penetrating gaze. 

"And if you want love, we'll make it. Swim in a deep sea of blankets. Take all your big plans and break 'em. This is bound to be a while," he continued. "Your body is a wonderland. Your body is a wonder, I'll use my hands."

Amanda abruptly left the fire pit, leaving Sam perplexed. 

Well, that was a first, he thought to himself. He watched her walk over to Alex, the host of the party. He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that she had seemed disinterested. This had never happened before.

"Who is that guy?" Amanda asked Alex as she approached him and made a gesture toward Sam. She and Alex were good friends. 

"That's Sam. He can be kind of an ass to girls, but he's a good friend."

"He's talented, I'll give him that. But he seems a little over-confident," Amanda said while shivering. Sam was attractive, that she couldn't deny. And his voice? Seriously sexy. Amanda had a soft spot for guys who could sing and play guitar.

"You cold? Here." Alex offered her his sweatshirt. 

"Thanks," Amanda said with a sweet smile.  

Sam watched as he felt a sharp pang of jealously, which was quite an unfamiliar feeling. 

When he finished the song, he decided to approach Alex and Amanda, but was interrupted by a good-looking blonde. He felt Amanda watching his every move, and opted to change his tactic from being straightforward to playing hard to get. He was determined to get her attention.

"Don't get involved with him, Amanda," Alex warned when he noticed her glancing over at Sam. "He might be my friend too, but I don't wanna see you get hurt. He'll never settle. Don't let your thing for guitar players cloud your judgement."

Amanda watched as Sam started kissing the blonde girl. "Thanks, Alex. You don't have to worry about that. I'm going to head home. Still on for the beach tomorrow?" 

"Yeah. A bunch of people are going. Meet here and you can ride with me. And keep the sweatshirt."

"Thanks, Alex. I'll see you tomorrow," Amanda replied.

Sam noticed Amanda leaving and quickly excused himself from the blonde. He caught up with her as she was almost to her car. 

"Hey, wait!" he called out.

Amanda turned around, slightly annoyed. "Yeah?"

"I'm Sam," he stated.

"I know."

"And you are?" he inquired with raised eyebrows.

"Leaving," she declared.

Amanda got in her car and drove off, leaving Sam alone on the front lawn. 

She felt flustered. 

How could someone be so absurd? Did he really think he could charm me after making out with another girl right in front of my face?  Oh, but his voice was so sultry.

It gave her goosebumps just thinking about it. She imagined his strong jaw line and how his stubble might feel when caressing his face.

Stop it, Amanda.

She forced the thoughts out of her head and drove into the darkness of the night.

-

Author's Note: So I've had this idea in my head for a while and I was finally able to write some of it down. I'm at a busy point in my life right now so if you guys liked this chapter and think I should continue to update, please let me know! Thanks :)