Chapter 12: Can't Deny It

~ The next day, Tuesday, at school: in the student lounge ~

I straightened my jacket as I took a seat on a green bean bag. Math class just ended, and I loathed it. Riley strolled over to me, smiling. I couldn't tell if it was fake or not. "Lucas just asked me to the dance last night! It was a big gesture. Roses, confetti.....It was everything I've ever dreamed of!" Riley exclaimed. She spun around happily.

I rolled my eyes when she wasn't looking. "Yeah, yeah. Congrats, Riles," I muttered, annoyed. Riley awakened from her happy trance and plopped down next to me on my bean bag. I almost automatically stood up. "Peaches, what's wrong?" Riley asked, softly. Seriously. You want to act oblivious right now? "Don't call me Peaches. And don't bother talking to me again," I muttered. The bell rang suddenly. I grabbed my backpack and left the school building as quick as I could.

~ Later, in Riley and Maya's room ~

I sat down at the bay window by myself, my legs criss-cross applesauce. Riley was on her bed, busy texting Lucas. We haven't talked since our encounter in the student lounge. "Well, I'm sitting at the bay window. Alone. Deserted. Totally cool, though," I muttered, firmly placing my hands on my knees.

Riley slightly looked up from her phone, her thumbs still in the texting position. "I thought you aren't talking to me anymore. You really made that clear earlier, didn't you?" She shot back. Riley then starting tapping at her phone again. I rolled my eyes. "So you're going to to start smart talking me now? Way to change up, Riley," I said, loud and clear. Riley rolled her eyes.

Riley probably thought we were going too fast. Well, we met only about five months ago. But feelings can come at any time. And my feelings for Riley will never disappear. Riley put her phone down and got up from her bed. "Well, I'm going to study for tomorrow's test at Lucas's. See you later, I guess," she said, shrugging into her black leather jacket.

Wow. She could've just studied with me. I didn't reply back. Riley slipped out of the door, quietly closing it behind her. I sighed as I got up from the bay window and sat down in the edge of Riley's bed. No matter what, she's going to think that Lucas and her are supposed to be together. That he really deserves her. I decided to go out and get some fresh air. I changed into a black shirt that had the explicit content sign, black leggings, and ankle high black boots. I did light makeup, put my hair in a ponytail, and tied a plaid red flannel around my waist.

I grabbed my satchel of spray cans and went out the window quietly.

~ At the alley ~

Everything was black and white again. Feelings weren't returned. Hearts were broken. I thought I still had a chance. One last chance to finally have my one moment with someone by my side. And I thought that someone was Riley. I guess she's not. I took out a black spray can and started spraying, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I couldn't take it anymore. I threw my can at the wall and curled up into a ball in the ground. Soon enough, it started to rain. Thunder started to crackle and I saw a lightning bolt strike through the sky. Great. I don't have an umbrella. I decided to hurry home right away. Grabbing my satchel, I stood up, stashed my can in my bag, and walked out into the rain.

There were no rainbows. There wasn't a girl smiling and dancing in the rain. Not like Riley's picture. I took the flannel off my waist and put it on. However, it got drenched quickly and I was even more cold. I sighed as I continued to walk in the direction of Riley's apartment. Suddenly, I heard a soft voice from behind me. "Maya."