1

After coming home from school, I walked into the living room and sat next to my dad.

"Hey, um, dad, can I-"

"Not now, Kit. I'm on the phone." My dad said and held his index finger in front of my face.

"Dad, I just-"

"Kit, please. I'm on the phone."

I signed and stood up before carrying my backpack into my room and setting it on the floor, then opened my computer to look at the school website. I knew we usually do things throughout the summer, so I thought it was worth looking. I logged on to scroll through the events page and sighed some as I looked at it. I stopped scrolling when I saw that we were going to put on a play during the summer.

Tomorrow is the last day of school, and the auditions for the play are at the theatre across from the school at 4:30. Normally, this wasn't anything I would even dare to do, especially considering I don't like being in front of crowds, but this is something that would catch my dad's attention. Considering he writes reviews for pretty much everything that happens in this town, he'll literally have to come to it, and if I can get a role in the play, I'm bound to get his attention.

I closed my computer and put it away before laying down contemplating my plan.

The next day, after school, I went through with my plan. I went to the theatre and filled out everything that I had to for the audition. I was hoping I wouldn't have to stand onstage in front of these people for the audition. I was hoping maybe they'd call me into a room for a private audition, but I had a bad feeling they'd make us all get onstage.

"Hey, you're Kit, right? You're in my science class." Someone said quietly to me.

"Yeah, uh, hi. I am. Or was. Yeah." I said nervously and tried to avoid eye contact.

"You.. Were Kit? So, you're no longer Kit?" He said and I shook my head.

"No, no, I'm still Kit. I mean that I was in your science class." I said and he chuckled softly.

"I'm Ricky." He said and I smiled a bit as I glanced at him.

"I know. I've seen you in class."

"I just thought that since we don't talk you probably didn't know my name or anything." He said and I shook my head.

"No, I know your name. I just don't talk to many people. I try to avoid that, in all honesty." I said and he chuckled.

"Me too. So, what role are you auditioning for?" Ricky asked.

"Um, I don't know. Probably Kelsey. Or just an extra." I said and looked at him. "What about you?"

"I figured you'd audition for either Gabriella or Sharpay. All the girls want one of those two roles these days. Mostly Gabriella. They'd be lucky if they get the role Sharpay. Anyways, I'm auditioning for the role of Ryan."

"You talk a lot.." I blurted out and he shrugged his shoulders.

"Kit Michaels." Mr. Carter called out and I stood up to follow him to a room. "And Emery Kelly."

Oh no. Yes, this is a private audition, which makes me glad, but it's with another person. I'm going to screw this guy's chances, and my own.

"Alright, you two. Emery, read as Troy. Kit, read as Gabriella. Can you read this scene for me? Whenever you're ready."

I took a breath before reading the script out loud.

"You pretty much have this school wired, don't you, Troy? Seems to me like everyone wants to be your friend."

"Unless we lose.."

"Well, I'm sure it's tricky being the coach's son."

"Makes me practice a little harder, I guess. I don't know what he'll say when he finds out about the singing.."

"You worried?"

After we finished reading the scene, we were dismissed and Ricky stopped me as I was walking out.

"How'd it go?" Ricky asked me.

"I honestly have no idea. Mr. Carter was totally silent throughout the whole scene, and I had no idea what he could have possibly been thinking." I said and Ricky nodded.

"Well.. I hope it went well for you. It was nice talking to you earlier, by the way." Ricky said and I smiled a bit.

"Thanks. I hope your audition goes well."