prolouge

An Oreo is a universal name brand for a crunchy chocolate sandwich cookie, with yummy vanilla filling in the middle. It is a treat enjoyed by many around the world; Shoot, I even like them. But being called one, with a different connotation isn't as great. Yep you heard me correctly, people call me an Oreo. Why ? People think I "act" white; but how do you "act" white ? Is it the same way you "act" black ? If so, how do you do so ?

Do I "act" white because I have more sense than the average African American? Is it because I care about my studies more than "Da'Quan" or "Shameka" from the block? Or maybe is it because my grammar skills are a perfect 10 and I have a lethal IQ score of 187. I could attend any of the top ten universities in the country if I wanted to. Not saying I don't want to, but in my city, an intellect like mine is a big deal; Not to be taken for granted.

My mama always told me I was a "special kind of chocolate", she called me that because my skin was rich, and silky brown; I loved my chocolate skin, but I didn't want to be seen as just that. I am a beautiful, sophisticated and educated black woman; but that's just hard for people to see sometimes.

My name is Jhene by the way, I forgot to mention before I started, I just get too into deep into things. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive. I've gotten that a lot too, but I'll get into that later.

I should be getting ready for school, but I decided to just relax in bed for a little while longer; School wasn't going anywhere, and I was in no rush to get there.