CHAPTER | 01

I sat up straight in my bed, my chest raising and falling quickly as I wiped the sweat from my forehead. My chest heaved as I struggled to breathe in the darkness, sweat dripping down forehead and sending chills down my spine. His words lingered in the darkness as I looked around my room, my eyes wide and frantic with fear.

       I took a deep breath, grateful that it was only a dream. I closed my eyes, breathing in the sweet humid air and trying to tune out the words that echoed in the back of my mind. I rubbed my eyes before opening them, my attention now on the slightly opened window that sat to my left.

       I pulled off my covers and dizzily stood up, my head throbbing as I thought about his electrifying blue eyes, his tousled dirty blonde hair, his bright warm smile... My head fell sideways and I felt my legs sway, tripping over a shoe and falling to the floor.

       I landed on the floor with a thud, grimacing at how much noise I was making. I pushed myself into a sitting position and put my head into my hands, trying to rub the sleep from my eyes. However, I only failed as the face of my dead best friend filled my mind.

       I felt tears well up in my eyes and I wiped them away, pushing myself to my feet once again and walking over to my open window. As I reached out to close it a breeze blew through, blowing my hair away from my face and over my shoulder. I stopped a moment, allowing myself to breathe in the cool air and gaze up to the sky.

       One benefit in living all the way out here in the middle of the forest was the sky, especially at night. Hundreds of stars were scattered all over the sky, clusters here and there whereas it was more spread out in other areas. It looked as if someone had taken a paint brush dipped in white paint and splattered it over a dark blue background, paying closer attention to some areas rather than others.

       As I stared at the sky, I felt small compared to the vast universe that stared back at me. However, standing here by myself staring at the sky only made me remember Lucas.

       Lucas, my best friend.

       Lucas, who had gone missing two weeks ago.

       Lucas who had been pronounced dead yesterday morning.

       Lucas and I were best friends since we could walk, inseparable ever since. We grew up together, talking whenever we could, sneaking out occasionally into the woods to see the stars, we even talked about running away together. We shared everything with each other. There were no secrets between us, just the honest, and sometimes painful, truth. We were so close we became more than just best friends, we became boyfriend and girlfriend.

       He poured his heart out to me, and I did the same to him. There was no one else in this world that I felt more in love with, that is until that one night two weeks ago.

       "Come on, just a little farther! You've got to see this!" He had said, his blue eyes sparkling in the darkness.

       "Lucas I don't like this, I don't like being out here so late at night. We've never gone this deep into the forest before, I can't even see the trail home anymore." I had said, terror laced in my voice.

       "Relax, just take my hand and trust me. You do trust me don't you?" He joked, his hand finding mine in the darkness. He stopped walking, pulling me close to him. I had stared up into those bright blue orbs I had fallen in love with and saw no trace of fear in them whatsoever.

       "I do, I'm just afraid. What happens if I get lost and you can't find me?" I said, my voice trembling.

       "Whatever happens, I won't let go of your hand. I won't leave you here alone and afraid, Ro I promise to find you if I lose you, and you know I never break my promises." He said looking me dead in the eyes. I searched his eyes for any trace of doubt in his words but I found none.