The Tree Scene

(Quinver and Dippy sit on a tree branch)

Quinver (Q): Wow! The view from here is amazing!

(Quinver looks excitedly towards Dippy, who is brooding. After a long pause...)

Q: So what do you do for fun?

(Another pause)

Q: Come on! EVERYBODY does SOMETHING for fun. Like how I read adventure books. What do you like?

(Pause)

Q: Come on, you have to like something-

Dippy (D): QUINVER! How could you POSSIBLY think about that at a time like THIS!?

Q: What the dog?

D: Yes of COURSE the dog!

(Both look down at an angry wolf, barking up at the tree.)

Q: (looking back up) OK OK relax. Look, you're out of arrows and I'm out of daggers and we can't get any more with that thing down there, so the best thing we can do is wait it out.

D: (grumpily) We could always jump out of the tree.

Q: (frantically clings to the trunk of the tree) WHAT ARE YOU INSANE!? I'm a HOBBIT! You fall, and you can get away with a broken bone or some minor injury. I fall and I DIE! Besides, it's a wolf, it'll give up soon. In fact, I bet we'll be home by supper!

(Three days later...)

Q: Why has it not given up yet?!

D: You DO know some wolves are known to pursue their prey for days on end.

Q: Well how was I supposed to know that?! (Groans) Hey, maybe we could-

D: What?

Q: Well, we could take some pine cones and set them on fire. Then we could throw them at the wolf!

D: (sarcasticly) Great, we'll just rub your head against the trunk for fire!

Q: Fine, then what's YOUR plan?

Dippy leans back, precariously close to falling. Quinver pulls him back up.

Q: We are NOT JUMPING! Why would you even think about doing that?!

D: Quinver, we have been up here for THREE DAYS without any food or a drink.

Q: Which kind of drink?

D: Both.

Q: Oh...

(Pause)

Q: (gingerly) Why do you drink anyway?

D: After you've seen the things I've seen, you kind of need a drink every now and then.

Q: Why don't you talk to someone about it? Like a therapist?

D: Because emotions are illogical.

Q: You know, I can never understand that. Why do you have such a hatred for emotions?

D: Quinver, you know I'm a half-elf. I'm part human, a race that has started so many wars and has murdered so many. They are so easily swayed by emotion, one of which is anger. They all have the seed of war, which is fueled by their hatred. I hate that I have their blood, their seed of war, within me. That's why I hate emotion.

(long thoughtful pause)

Q: You know, there are people, philosophers, who believe that everyone, including humans and elves and even hobbits, are born evil and the so-called good of the world struggle to quench the darkness within. Then of course, there are those who believe that everyone is born good and that they just become corrupted by dark forces who work to quench the light.

(pause)

Q: But in my experience, both are wrong. We are all born with a great light within us, along with a dark shadow. Both forces, equally powerful, fight for dominance. The one that wins is the one that is made strong through experience and connections made in ones life.

(pause)

Q: Well, far be me from a great philosopher, but that's what I've learned.

D: Quinver, you know, I haven't heard you ever talk like that, but you know what?

Q: (gentley) What Dippy?

D: (leaning precariously forward) THAT WAS A STEAMING PILE OF- (he falls out of the tree)

Q: (as D falls out of the tree, Q tries to catch him, but fails yelling) DIPPY!!!!

(D lands on the ground, but only suffers a few scratches. He quickly gets up and runs as the wolf begins to chasing him. D runs behind some trees and finds a very large branch and uses it to fend off the wolf, but it still persues D. From the tree, Q grabs some pine cones and throws them at the wolf, who then flees.)

Q: WOOHOO!!

D: HEY QUINVER! For what it's worth, you were right. You know that seed of war I was talking about? Turns out I have! (D smiles, looking a little insane)

Q: (grabs the trunk with true fear) I'M NOT COMING DOWN!!!!

D: (loses the insane smile) Calm down it was only a joke. Sheesh, I thought you liked jokes.

Q: (angry, but has tears in his eyes) THAT WAS NOT FUNNY! DON"T YOU EVER JOKE LIKE THAT AGAIN!

(pause)

Q: (now calmed down) How do I get down from here?

((Hey if you liked this feel free to comment! I am going to be working on the first, I'm gonna call it episode, with the other writer. If you like this I'll post the first episode when we finish. THANK YOU!!))