We Are One

You can't do this anymore.

Alycia watches you from the corner of her eyes outright staring in concern when she can.

You sit on the passenger's side unnaturally quiet immersed in how it all went wrong.

The whole event plays behind your eyelids every time they shut.

You see her at the café her long sleeves holding the tiny teacup so carefully. Her eyes smile as her lips touch the rim. You stop rambling for one moment.

You ask her what she thinks.

She smiles at you so bashful and quiet.

Alycia blushes and you realize she didn't hear a word.

Alycia was facing you, watching you from under her lashes the whole time not saying a word.

Maybe she was thinking about you.

You can't contain your smile.

Then it went wrong.

She was recognized. It was sweet at first the way fans drifted towards her. They were all kind complimenting her on her work. It made you smile. Then the same curious glances and questions about who you are came up.

Alycia pulled away from you each time another fan came up: from your presence, from your kiss, from your touch.

It pulled at old scars you thought were long healed.

You were wrong.

Alycia pulls up to your house rubbing her lips together before speaking.

"Are you okay?"

You unbuckled your seatbelt and Alycia's face falls when she sees your face.

"I can't do this anymore. I think we should break up. "

Alycia exhales exhales shakily falling back as if struck.

"Is this about the café?"

You sigh avoiding her eyes.

"We need different things right now."

Alycia takes your chin lifting it with the lightest pressure until you see her eyes again.

Her eyes are bright with tears the green standing out like a beacon.

"I just need more time. "

You beg for understanding.

"What about what I need? I need someone to hold my hand. I need someone that won't hide me from everybody. I need so many things and you can't give them to me. "

Alycia leans back.

You look out the window noticing a jogger go past.

A fresh wave of hurt hits you.

"You're ashamed of me."

She stutters a response but you don't want to hear another word.

You open the door uncaring of the drizzle.

Alycia watches her lips trembling and her eyes glistening in the light.

You go to shut the door when she speaks.

"Can't we still be friends?"

Alycia's voice heightens in its desperation.

A sickening swirl of guilt and misplaced anger overwhelms you.

You are many things but you've never been a liar.

"We were never friends. We were always more."

When you shut the door, you're shutting it on her too.

It was hard.

You didn't know you'd miss her so much.

She was everywhere. You'd open your cabinet and see her favorite cup. The flowers on the kitchen table wilted without her. The smell of her perfume started to fade from your clothes.

You couldn't watch TV without seeing Alycia, couldn't go on YouTube and Tumblr was definitely not an option.

Alycia was everywhere.

Then a bouquet of gardenias were sent to your house asking to meet at the park where you'd met.

The "I miss you" at the end of the note was both a blessing and a curse.

It was surprisingly cool for such a bright day.

You saw her first.

Alycia stood by the picnic table her hair swaying in the breeze.

When she saw you, Alycia fumbled with the flowers before clumsily handing you them.

"They're forget-me-nots."

She rambles on her hands moving with every word.

The cuteness of the scene makes you smile.

"Most people use them to remember someone lost. I didn't. I saw them and I thought of you. Forget Me Not mean hope and faithful love. Some bloom every year."

Her voice lowers.

"I gave you gardenias because they mean secret love. I don't want it to be a secret anymore. "

You take a step closer.

Alycia looks up from the ground her eyes making your heart stop.

"I love you. "

She shuffles closer.

"You were right."

Now you're close enough to feel her skin,

"We are more."

Hesitant, Alycia kisses you with the faintest of pressures her lips unbearably soft.

You kiss back pulling her in and kissing her deeper relieved to know you are together again.