Chapter 13: Today's roll of events

~ Time skip, Thursday, at free period, in the school lounge ~

I tried not to regurgitate my lunch as I watched Lucas trail Riley's neck with kisses. I still couldn't believe Riley said she would continue to date Lucas, even after what happened between us two nights before. Riley and I locked eyes for a second. Then, she reluctantly pulled away from Lucas, whispering something to him. Lucas just nodded, sneaking a nasty glare at me.

Soon enough, Riley walked over to me. I scooted over so she had room to sit on the bean bag, too. She firmly placed her bottom on the little space of bean bag. "Hey, Peaches," Riley muttered, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear. "Riley," I said, lacing my fingers together slowly. A wave of silence filled the air, and I fully despised it.

I wasn't done with Riley. I could never be done with her. She was best thing that happened to me, even though she's led me on many times. Riley was an amazing friend, and a great listener. "I don't want you to be done with me, Maya. Please, you're my best friend, despite everything that happened. I'll do anything. Just please be my friend again and together, we can restore our friendship," Riley said, taking my hands into hers. I smirked to myself.

She said anything. So I could make her tell Lucas about our kiss, which would most likely make him break up with her. I mentally slapped myself immediately. What's wrong with me? I've never been so....devilish! I want Riley happy, not heartbroken. Even if it means I don't get my girl. I took a deep breath. "I don't need you to do anything for me. I just need you to be my friend," I finally said, plastering a smile on my face.

Riley smiled wide and hugged me tightly. "I love you so much!" Riley exclaimed quietly. I tried my best to keep breathing. "Too....Tight," I rasped. Riley quickly let go. "Sorry!" She said. I noticed Lucas was watching us for quite a while. He then strolled over to us. "Let's go, Riley," Lucas murmured, a little impatiently. Riley looked from me to Lucas repeatedly. She reluctantly stood up finally. "I'll see you later, Maya," Riley said quickly. Lucas slid his hand into hers and they walked away. The bell rang, indicating that free period was over. I sighed as I stood up and headed to my next class.

~ Later, at lunch ~

Farkle shot me a glare as I walked over to Riley and I's usual table. We haven't talked since our encounter a few weeks ago, which was fine with me. Riley finally came out the lunch line, her eyes locked on me. I gave her a small smile, motioning for her to come over. Unfortunately, Lucas had other plans. "Riley, babe, over here!" Lucas yelled across the cafeteria, flashing Riley a big smile.

I bit my lip, nervously. Friendship is more important than a boy. She can't choose Lucas over me. Riley slowly walked over to Lucas, quickly flashing me a pitiful look. She took a seat next to Lucas, kissing his cheek. Lucas put his arm around her and whispered something in her ear. She quietly giggled. I noticed her scoot away from Lucas a little, as if she was uncomfortable with him touching her.

My teeth gritted together in anger. I just couldn't decipher Riley. At first she was all sweet and trustworthy. Then, next thing you know, she was a backstabber who pretended to be sorry for you. But I still love her. Feelings never disappear. Suddenly, I felt something cold on my shoulder. I turned my head to see the one and only, Isadora Smackle. "May I sit here?" She asked me. I just nodded, taking a sip of my milk. I noticed that Isadora was staring at Riley and Lucas. She then turned back to me.

"This is what I collected. You like Riley, but she only loves you as a sister. She's obviously leading Lucas on, based on the fact that she let you kiss her. And when Lucas tries any romantic/sexual gesture on her, she recoils away from him. I admit, the girl is really hard to decipher. Let me correct myself. You don't like Riley; you love her. But in order to see if she requites your feelings, we have to figure out her deal," Isadora babbled. It was hard for me to take in all of Isadora's information.

"Uh...Uh.... How do you know that? How did you know Riley and I kissed?" I stuttered quietly. Isadora just shrugged. "I'm just a really good observer. Speaking of observing, let's....." The bell rang, indicating that lunch was over. I barely ate any of my meal, but I didn't really care. "How about you just do the observing, Isadora? I'm not fond of collecting dirt on my friend," I muttered before running out of the lunchroom to catch up with Riley.

She was already by her locker. However, Lucas was with her. Crap. I quietly walked over to my locker, which wasn't far away from hers. I overheard some of Riley and Lucas's conversation. "So....Are we still on for the carnival tonight? I promise I'll win you a bunny," Lucas said, caressing Riley's cheek. I noticed that she removed Lucas's hand from her cheek. "Lucas, as much as I was looking forward to that, I can't go. Auggie is sick and I have to pitch in with caring for him. Sorry,"  Riley said, intertwining her fingers with Lucas's. I rolled my eyes to myself. Clear lies. Auggie isn't sick. I live with the guy! I should know! I could see Lucas frown. In defeat. "Maybe another day," Lucas said quickly before walking away.

Riley frowned, crossing her arms. I frowned, too. She didn't have to do that. I need her happy. If Lucas makes her happy, then so be it. I just need to make sure she doesn't lead me on anymore. I sighed in defeat. "Looks like Riley might requite your feelings." I nearly screamed, turning around to see the one and only Isadora Smackle. "Don't do that, Smackle!" I whisper yelled, crossing my arms. Riley started to make her way toward us. "Hi, Peaches. Hey, Isadora," Riley greeted us, happily. I could see through her easily. She was sad. "I'm going to leave you two lovebirds alone now," Isadora said before running away. I cursed under my breath angrily. Riley blushed.

"Riles, we need to talk. About your happiness. We have two minutes," I said, grasping Riley's hand. Riley gave me a small smile. A sad smile. "What do you mean? I'm happy, trust me...." I pulled Riley into the empty student lounge. "Riley, I know you're not happy! I watched you turn down Lucas! I saw how unhappy he was about it! I saw how unhappy you were! I may be in love with you, but I will put your happiness first. And if you're happy with Lucas, then so be it," I explained. I could see Riley's eyes water. "But if I'm happy, then you won't be happy. We both need to be happy. We need to be happy together," Riley muttered, intertwining our fingers.

My heart skipped a beat, but I ignored it. "What do you mean?" I asked quietly. Riley pulled me closer to her, so there was barely any space between us. "We need to figure out us. I don't want to hurt you. I want you happy. And if I make you happy...." "No, Riley. You already make me happy as my best friend. And that's enough for me, ok....?"  Riley grabbed my cheeks and gently crashed her lips onto mine. I slowly kissed back without thinking. My whole body went warm. I felt at home.

The bell rang, but we ignored it. I finally pulled away. "We need to get to class. Now," I said quickly, pulling Riley's arm. I felt guilty. Even though Lucas and I weren't in the best terms, he sort of, kind of, deserved happiness too. I sound like Riley!

I thought about the kiss over and over during class. I couldn't even focus. Riley got into your head and mesmerized you. I couldn't let us go on like this anymore. Soon enough, our friendship will break due to all of this. I couldn't let that happen.

..........................................