Chapter 1: Aaron

Chapter 1: *Aaron's POV*

I stare at my notebook finally happy with a sketch I’d been working on for months. Now bored -again- I stare at the clock, watching as the hand soundlessly ticks by.

‘Just a few long minutes until the last class left before I’m out of here and to the coffee shop.’ I let out a small yawn, covering it with my hand. And when I move it, I notice him looking at me with a smirk. I gave Ash a small smile, waving so only he could see my hand move. But his smirk does not spark any feelings like it used to. I feel absolutely nothing any more but it's not like I could completely forget about my best friend. I mean, he was one of the only people by my side during my first 'heartbreak.' Then again, so was Garet... But he's just a friend to me. Besides, he's going after Lola.

"Aaron? Can I talk to you for a sec?" Ash's slightly calloused hand shakes my shoulder. I look up at him with a slightly worried expression and nodded, following him outside.

“You wanted to talk to me, Love?” I asked him as I put the books I didn’t need away in my locker. I look at him and close my door, seeing him run a hand through his medium brown hair and beginning to worry. I may not be in love with him any more but he’s still my friend.

“We need to cut this off. It’s just… I don’t feel anything anymore. I’m sorry. I hope you understand.” His words strike me hard but in a way I was kind of expecting it. Nothing had really been going on between us recently and I guess we both didn’t feel anything anymore.

I hesitate before looking into his eyes and opening my mouth to say, “Can we still be friends?”

Ash gave me a small nod and a half smile. “We always can.” He takes my hand in his but it no longer felt like a comfort. It feels like a trap.

I pull away and shift my backpack higher up onto my shoulder. “I have to go meet Jul. I’ll text you later, Ashton.” I quickly whisk myself away but then I heard a… disturbing noise. No not in that way, but I feel like I shouldn’t have heard it.

“Bret, it’s not like you can pretend forever!” That’s Megan, the ‘hot,’ popular head cheerleader. The kind that makes you want to throw up.

“I’ll tell Juliana later, babe. Don’t worry about it.” I then rush off. I can’t stand to hear any more. If I did, I’d probably barge in and punch Bret. Then probably get Kaden to kill him. Yeah. That’ll work.

√v^√v^v^v---

“Jul Jul Jul Jul JUL!” I yell, practically running into my friend.

“Jesus, Aaron!” she says, startled with wide eyes.

“No, I’m just Aaron. I’m an atheist. Anyways, let’s head to the Shop. I have something to tell you….” I grab her by the shoulders and practically drag her to my jeep.

I jump inside and pull my dyed maroon hair into a messy bun.

“You were about to say something?” Jul asks, her eyes still pretty wide at my crazy behavior despite the fact she should be over that by now.

Deep breath, Aar, I tell myself. But then I see Bret in his new mustang with Megan. He starts to pull out of the student parking lot and I almost slam my accelerator to the floor.

“Aar!” Jul screeches, clutching her seat for her life.

“Oh. Yeah I was telling you something. Well let’s just say I caught Bret doing something. And we’re going to the Shop ‘with’ him,” I tell her quickly, momentarily releasing the wheel to make air quotes.