Chapter 1: Unsafe

I stared out the window, lost in thought. The only thing I could seem to think about was the news report this morning. Fear had been replaced by shock, and then fascination. I made the mistake of yawning, and the rest of the class turned to face me. "Mister Green. Since this lesson is so boring to you, I figured I could spice it up by giving the class an extra assignment."

The rest of the class groaned and I heard a few angry whispers next to me. But that was all slowly being pushed to the back of my mind. The remainder of the class period dragged on slowly, and when I heard the bell, I picked up my backpack and started towards the door. But the teacher had other plans.

"Alex, if you could stay for a few minutes." He said, sitting in his desk. What do you want now? "Your grades are dropping rapidly." He said. "So I wanted to see if you're ok." I faked a smile, quick, hoping to trick him. "Yeah. I'm fine." I said, trying to sound at least slightly happy. "Okay, then you should head to the busses." I shook my head, before leaving. I don't take the bus anymore. I just walk, despite the killer on the loose.

I did alter my route though, to see the houses where the murders had happened. Every victim was missing an organ, with no other visible marks anywhere but the incision point, at least, that's what the news said. But as I was walking past one of the houses, I saw something in the bushes.

There was a blur of blue and black, and he was gone. Something about it set me off towards home in a half jog. I saw the blue and black thing again, but I got a better look. The blue object was a mask, and it seemed to be dripping something from the eyeholes. And then it was gone again. I grew nervous, and my jog became a run. I couldn't see home yet, but I knew it was close. After a few minutes, I saw it. The worn paint gave me comfort, but more often then not, splinters. I pushed open the door, shutting it behind me.

A few months ago, I would have heard Emi screeching with joy when I came home, and my dad would smile abs ask about homework. But not anymore. Emi, my little sister, had gotten really sick, and she wasn't strong enough to make it through. I had promised her I would see her on the other side, and she had given a weak smile, before her eyes closed and her grip relaxed on my hand.

My dad just couldn't cope, and tried to use alcohol to solve his problems, but in the end, it got him killed. He had gotten drunk again, and made the fatal mistake of driving home. His car was literally ran over by a semi, and he was crushed.

I dropped my backpack by the door and dragged myself to the couch. The remote was sitting on the coffee table, but I didn't feel like watching the news right now. My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I checked to see who was messaging me.

It was an unknown number, so I turned my phone off, and set it down on the table. I remembered the homework I had, and rolled off the couch, crawling towards my backpack. I unzipped it, and pulled out a bunch of crumpled up pages of homework. Muttering, I picked a pencil up of the floor, and scooted over to the coffee table.

Hours of boredom, here I come. I heard a tapping sound, and I looked around, but all I saw was my cat cleaning himself on the Xbox. I felt a smile form, and I hissed. He looked up at me, and hissed back. "Chill out Silver." I said, and turned back to my homework. A feeling on loneliness was starting to form, and clouded the air. It was almost suffocating.

Silver got up and walked into the kitchen, meowing. "Yeah. I'll be there in a minute." I said, and got up. I heard the tapping again, and caught sight of another blue and black blur, moving right outside the house.