The Murder That Started It All

Brennan's POV
My phone rang. I turned to look at my alarm clock. It was 6:00 in the morning, not very early compared to the time Booth usually called. "Hello?" I answered sleepily. "Hey Bones, we got a murder and lucky for you the body is already on its way to the Jeffersonian. And uh, don't get mad when you get here, ok Bones?" Booth seemed nervous but I replied and hung up. I got up and quickly dressed appropriately for work. I hailed a cab and arrived within half an hour. Booth was correct, I was not happy with what I saw. A young child, approximately age three, was standing with Angela. A child in my work space. "Hey Brenn, we found this girl at the crime scene and..." I cut Angela off and continued to walk to my work space. "If she has anything to do with the murder, tell Booth. If she has anything to do with my victim, then tell me. Otherwise, please show her out." They turned to leave but as they walked past me I saw something written on her hand. It was two names, both written in a different handwriting. If she was a foster child, then I know what the writing is.

Angela's POV
I tried talking to the girl. She stared at the ground as I brought her to Booth. She is absolutely adorable, beautiful, big blue eyes, soft golden blond hair, light skin and dimples that can be seen even when she seemed sad. I was shocked she wasn't crying after what must of happened to her within the past few days. "Hey Booth!" I called out to him as I entered his office with the girl behind me. "Is that the girl from the crime scene?" I nodded my head and the small child hid behind me. "What can you tell me about her?" That was kinda a hard question. "Not much, only that she was found at the crime scene. We believe she might me the victim's daughter. She is estimated to be about three. That is all we know." His eyes seemed to soften when she stepped away from me. "Can we run face recognition? Maybe she is adopted." I turned to look at her. All I could think about is why anyone would want to give this cutie up. "I will try when I get back to the lab but my specialty isn't with the living." I left to go back to the lab, followed by the girl. "What's your name sweetie?" She just looked at me then turned to look out the window again.

*An hour later*

Brennan's POV
"Did you look through missing person reports?" I asked walking towards Angela. She didn't look up. "Um...no, sorry sweetie." She answered as she continued typing. "Why not?" I asked shocked and a little angered. "I was trying to identify the little girl using the system. And I think I just got a hit. Zoey Ariana, three years old. Currently adopted by Stephanie Cruz." We looked at each other then at Zoey. "I think we just found our victim. Good job Ang." I began walking away but Angela grabbed my arm. "I don't want her to go back to foster care. She needs protection. Maybe, I could possibly take her home?" I shook my head. "I will take her, maybe I can get her to talk to me. Come on Zoey, you are coming home with me." I said gently and took her hand in mine. We got into the back and I began driving home. She needs a carseat. I looked into the mirror and she was staring out the window. I smiled, I always did that as a child. I was very quite too. I guess she is kinda like me. We got home and I opened the door, showing Zoey to the guest bedroom. She sat down on the edge and I ran to get a marker. I walked back and she was still sitting there. "May I see your hand?" She looked at the marker and seemed to realize what I was doing. She held out her left hand and I wrote 'Cruz' below the other names. She quickly smiled for the first time since I met her. I looked into her eyes and realized just how cute she was. I saw pain in her eyes. She gave me a hug then quickly climbed under the covers. I tucked her in and kissed her on the forehead. I was shocked that I did this. "I was a foster kid too." I turned to her but she was asleep. I hope she trusts me. Soon.