Prologue

Dear Reader,

    When you type in the question "How many words are there in the English language?" on Google, the answer you are given is 1,025,109.8.

I haven't the slightest idea of how you can have 4/5 of a word, but I shall not question the mighty powers of Google and the people of the Oxford English Dictionary.

It has come to my attention that the word "love" is often tossed around carelessly nowadays, like many words often are. One can simply use the words of love without truly knowing what love in the truest sense of the word is.

    In my mind, love is something that doesn't happen because of money and looks. I have certainly never looked at a rich male with good looks and thought, "Gosh! I'm in love!". I highly doubt that you have either.

    So what compels a person to so readily use the word on something as trivial as a Facebook post? Why do you get judged for not showing enough love?

    In this story, the case is quite the opposite. A mere hundred and twenty-one years ago, showing too much love was ridiculed. Why? Because image and money was on everyone's mind.

    So, my dear reader, I shall now bid you farewell until Chapter One where the interesting tale of Florence Grove begins.

    I shall see you again where we will discover the effects that one word had on one person on many different occasions.

    The effect of one word in a million.