Chapter 14: Not So Innocent

A/N: GUYS, IT'S ABOUT TO GET REAL IN THIS CHAP! JUST LOOK AT THE TITLE!

Riley's POV

~ After school ~

I didn't think that a innocent conversation at our sacred bay window would turn into a heated makeout session against my wall.

I was supposed to be the innocent sunshine. The rainbow. I was supposed to be with Lucas. I was supposed to be at that carnival. Instead, I ended up pushing Maya Hart against a wall and roughly kissed her. The innocent me wouldn't have done that. My feelings took over my body and....Wait, let me correct myself. Stupid teenage hormones.

We finally seperated, desperate for breath. I felt so guilty. I was cheating on Lucas repeatedly with my best friend. I couldn't let it go on anymore. Soon enough, our friendship would tear apart. And I wasn't about to let that happen. "Maya," I breathed, running a hand through my hair. Maya regained her breath, crossing her arms. "Riley, we can't let this go on any longer. Look at us! We're messed up. Damaged," She muttered.

Just the thought of losing Maya as my best friend made me want to cry. She meant everything to me; I loved her. I nodded in agreement. "Y...Yeah. You're totally right. But I can't keep secrets from Lucas. I have to tell him what happened. Between us," I said. Maya almost automatically pushed me against the wall. "You can't tell him!" She rasped. "He'll dump you and you'll be broken. We have to keep this a secret. If you want to stay with Lucas."

I shook my head. "No way. I have to be honest. Lucas and I promised to each other that we'd tell each other everything. I can't break that promise," I said, trying to keep my voice down. Mom was downstairs, and I didn't want her to think we were up to something. Even though I moaned loudly when Maya kissed my neck.

"Fine. Tell him everything if you'd like. I guess I don't have feelings and I have to cover them up for you. Totally fine," Maya muttered, sinking against the wall. I couldn't take it anymore. It was too hard to keep everyone happy. I knew Maya was in love with me, but I acted oblivious and went back to Lucas. I was making myself happy, while Maya was tearing apart.

I sank down next to her. "I'll break up with him, Maya. I'll go over to his house right now and break up with him. I just want you happy. And you're not happy with me just as your best friend. We both know that,"  I said, gently stroking her cheek.

Maya turned to face me. "You wouldn't do such a thing. You love Lucas." "But I love you more," I said, truthfully. Maya stood up, laughing. "You're so corny. Fine, if you love me more, go to Lucas's house. Right now," she said. I nodded, grabbing my jacket. I went out the window, scared about what was going to happen next.

~ In front of Lucas's apartment ~

I hesitated to knock on Lucas's door. I loved him; I can't deny that. But I knew Maya deserved me more. Lucas just loved the idea of me. A pretty, smart girl who woos all the guys. I knew Lucas actually loved me; he showed it everyday. It just wasn't enough. I gently knocked on his door. After about a minute, the door slowly opened, revealing Lucas's face. He genuinely smiled at me. "Hey, Riles," Lucas said, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer. I squirmed, knowing this was wrong.

I slowly recoiled away from him. "Lucas, I really need to talk to you. Can I come in?" I said politely. Lucas nodded, moving over so o could go inside. "My parents aren't home," Lucas mentioned. I just shrugged, not knowing what that had to do with anything.