P r o l o g u e

A rhythmic pattern, steady without missing a beat. Hands were firmly gripped onto the wooden sticks, moving nonstop. Various sounds erupted from that very area where the girl was sitting, providing a base for the rest of the band to follow. They could rely on her. She just knew they could. They've been together since they were only 8, which meant 4 long years of trust.

Lyrics were flowing out of the boy's mouth. He stood at the very front, mic in his hand. Every few seconds, he'd furrow his eyebrows or close his eyes, falling deeper and deeper into the scene. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead, meeting at his jawline before parting ways and falling into the floor.

The rest of the band played along. Each section worked their magic on the audience. The electric guitars were doing their solos and duets. The keyboard was doing their best to catch up with their quick notes. The bassist was much more relaxed, tapping their feet to the beat and calmly playing their section's music. Everything just seemed so right.

The girl grinned, eyes taking a quick glance at her music score. They were almost done their song, which meant that they had to give them the ending that they'll never expect. She turned up the volume for her playing, adding more strength to each step on the pedal for the bass drum, applying more pressure to each hit on the snare and cymbals. She sped up the piece, causing the band to follow as well. Everything was going as planned.

The audience whispered to each other, eyes wide as if they were watching some sort of unbelievable magic trick.

This was it. Her solo, her finale. She readied herself for her drum solo, gritting her teeth. She had gone through his several times before, ensuring that it sounded flawless. Her arm lifted, preparing to hit the cymbal,

but it missed.

The band and singer stopped, looking back at her. Her mouth hung slightly agape, eyes blankly staring in front of her. The stick was dropped onto the floor, rolling away from her. They knew what happened. Everyone did.

She messed up.

Absolutely humiliated, she excused herself from the scene, throwing away the other stick in the process. She shoved past the guards, running through the halls. White teeth sunk into her bottom lip as liquid- tears welled up in the corners of her eyes.

She messed up.

The vocalist chased after her, worried. Unfortunately, it didn't take long until she was out of his sight. No one knew where she went.

And still, no one knows.