C h a p t e r 1

Cheers and laughter from the giant room, followed by the sounds of sneakers squeaking against the floor and inaudible words being screamed. Those were the first things you heard when you entered the area. You had recently moved to the city, meaning that you left behind your old friends and school. Of course you still keep in touch. Just not face-to-face anymore. The thought of it make you sad and regret agreeing to move. Well, you didn't really agree to it. It was more like you were forced to agree.

        There was a thing about the place that seemed to draw you in. Maybe it was the genuine laughter of the chattering students, or maybe it was how everyone was so friendly to you. People had greeted you once they saw your presence, informing you that you could always rely on them for a tour around. A few had even invited you to their clubs. You rejected all of them as they weren't appealing. The fact that you were picky angered you sometimes. Literacy wasn't exactly your favourite thing in the world. As much as you enjoyed doodling, the art club didn't really fit you. There was, however, a few that appealed to you.

        Sports.

        Whether it would be soccer or basketball, your eyes would light up at the mention of them. You had been team captain of the girls' sprinting and volleyball team before, so why not sign up again? You were gifted with the fact that your sturdy legs could easily outrun someone and you cherished that. You might as well make use of it.

        School had ended already. Most students had left to scurry home or to meet up with some friends at a nearby fast-food place. You, however, decided to stay to look around. You were sure that a few of the clubs wouldn't mind having you spectate. It would give you an idea of their skill level and how experienced everyone was. Besides, it was also a chance to make a friend or two. To get along with someone that can keep up with your energetic personality.

        Your hand wrapped around the knob, slowly pushing the door open. E/c orbs lit up at the scene, excited and curious. You knocked on the door, knowing that it would be rude to suddenly walk in. At the sound of your knuckles against the wood, everyone inside stopped moving to gaze at you.

        "Y/n? Is there anything you need?" Daichi asked. He was one of the very few people at the school you've talked with before. You sat beside him at math, sometimes striking up short conversations.

        "N-No, I was just wondering if I could watch your practice today. I'm quite interested in seeing the school's abilities." You answered, eyes stopping at a familiar boy. He seemed short even for a first year. However, you can tell that he was awake and alert. His eyes stared back at you, confused. After a second of linking gazes, you turned away to look at the net instead. "...That is, if it's fine with you guys."

        "I don't see why not." The orange-haired boy piped up, fiddling with the ball in his hand. The rest of the team eventually agreed. You sat on the bench beside another student with glasses framing her eyes. She was quiet, not bothering to talk to you. For the entire time, you focused your attention on the ball, watching their techniques. You were amazed by their teamwork and offensive strategies- especially the quick attack from the small boy and that intimidating one. Before you knew it, time ran out. You offered to help out with cleaning up, scavenging the place for any volleyballs that tried to hide themselves.

        "Hey, you! That girl that was watching us!"

        You turned around to look at the owner of the voice, flashing him a smile.

        "Yes, Shouyou-san?" You asked. You knew everyone's names by now due to them calling out to each other.

        He stumbled back a bit, not used to having honorifics added in his name. "I was wondering why you decided to sit through the entire practice session. Are you that interested in watching?"