Chapter 1

November 20th 2003

Young Michael turned 9 that day; any boy in the world would be happy on his birthday, but he wasn't exactly thrilled.

He woke up like every morning and then went to his younger sister's bedroom who whined when Michael told her it was time to wake; just like every other day.

Michael made his way to the kitchen and made himself and her younger sister breakfast; He did what he could considering that he was just recently 9.

Great! His father won't wake up today either. He passed out last night on the sofa, like any other night. That doesn't mean deep inside he wished, maybe just for today he would actually remember it was Michael's birthday and wake up.

He knew his father did some things that were clearly wrong even in the mind of a 9 year old child. Michael didn't feel affection exactly coming from his father; but what would stop a kid from dreaming that his own dad will remember his birthday?

"Mikey!!!! Mikey!!! Happy Birthdaaay!!!" Sweet 7 year old Lauren jumped into his brothers arms.

A big smile grew in Michael's face; that little angel was the only one able to make him smile ever since their mom was missing.

Lauren kissed Michael's cheek sweetly and handed something to him "Here, I'm sorry I didn't wrap it" Lauren shrugged with innocence.

Mikey was receiving his first gift on his birthday; he didn't think that would happen. He just thought that it would be like last year's when he didn't have any.

When he turned 8 it was his first birthday without his mom who died in a car accident. His dad just said Happy Birthday to him but didn't give him any gifts.

Michael's smile was huge; he couldn't remember when the last time he was that happy was. His little sister cared enough to have a present for him.

Lauren's smile matched his brother's; she felt incredibly great for making his brother happy.

"Is that...is that a pick???" Michael asked when he noticed a guitar pick hanging from the bracelet her sister made for him.

Lauren nodded enthusiastically.

"Wooow so cool!!! Thanks so much, kiddo" Michael squeezed his little sister tight and when they pulled off, she tied the bracelet on his brother.

"How did you...?" Mikey said contemplating the pick which had a heart drawn on it.

"I cut out one of mom's old cards...I'm sorry" She looked at the floor. "I thought maybe that way you could feel mami closer" Lauren pouted.

Michael chuckled; he couldn't believe his little sister was that smart. His eyes became teary though at the mention of their mom.

"That's so beautiful, Lauren...she will always be with us, ok?" Mikey said stroking his sister head; Lauren definitely felt so sad remembering her missing mami.

"I love you so much, Mikey" Lauren said hugging him.

"I love you too, Lolo" Her brother replied.

When they finished having breakfast and getting ready for school they took the school bus that was already waiting outside for them.

Of course the day went by without anyone knowing it was Michael's birthday; Ever since his mom passed away he wouldn't interact with the rest of the kids, so he had no friends.

Sure his sister looked for him at the playground during the break time; but when she went back to her friends Michael had something better planned.