The Blood of Olympus: Percico Part 3 *House of Hades SPOILER ALERT*

All Percy had wanted to do was explore Pylos with everyone else. Instead, he was stuck with Leo, who was gathering supplies to fix the Argo II. It didn't help improve Percy's mood that the little guy was giving him attitude.

It had been five days since they left Epirus. They should have been in Athens already. In fact, they probably would be if they hadn't been attacked by monsters seemingly every hour.

The strange thing was, the monsters went down pretty easily, and with little damage to the ship. Almost as if they'd been given orders by someone to stall the Argo II only.

The last monster to attack had been some serpentine sea monster that even Annabeth didn't know the name for. It just destroyed the oars and left.

The next morning, the other quest members elected Percy to back up Leo in case of monster attack while they went in search of a nice cafe.

Percy had tried being nice. He had tried to start conversations. All he got in response were "yep"s, "nope"s, "I don't know"s, and the occasional dirty look. Finally, he couldn't take it anymore.

He grabbed Leo roughly by the shoulder. "If you've got something to say, then say it to my face, Valdez."

"Whoa, man," said Leo in alarm. "Chill."

Percy closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "What is your deal?" asked Percy as he opened his eyes.

Leo's eyes showed a mixture of wistful longing and resentment. "I got marooned on Calypso's island."

"Oh." Percy felt all his anger leave him in a rush. "I never meant to hurt her, but I couldn't stay. Camp Half-Blood was in danger."

"And you had Annabeth." Leo's gaze was accusing.

"We didn't start dating for another year," retorted Percy. "And you left Ogygia, too."

"I'm going back when this is over," Leo said with determination.

Percy almost argued, but he shook his head instead. "Let's just go."

Leo followed without a word.

They met up with everyone by the dock about an hour later. They were about to head back to the ship when Piper exclaimed, "Mother?"

Percy looked toward the beach. He didn't understand why Piper thought this lady, while obviously a goddess, was her mother. She looked plain compared to the Aphrodite that he'd met -- though she was still beautiful.

She had dark, lustrous hair that waved gently down to her waist. She had chocolate brown eyes and perfect but minimal makeup. She wore an elegant, short-sleeved burgundy dress with a long, flowing skirt that touched the ground. The skirt had images on it that shifted as Percy watched.

First, there was an image of a god and goddess separated by a pillar. For a moment, Percy thought they were Apollo and Artemis, but they felt older somehow. Helios and Selene, maybe? Then her skirt showed three winged gods performing a ritual. Next, it showed an image of herself, riding a weird sea creature that looked part goat. The final image was one of Gaea and Ouranos. That one gave him a bad feeling.

The goddess had walked to them while he watched her skirt. She regarded Piper. "I am not your mother, child. I am Aphrodite of Aphrodisias, one of her other forms, and I bring a message from Gaea."

Oh, no, thought Percy.

"Your friend Nico was able to bring the Athena Parthenos with him to the United States. Before he and his traveling companions made it to Camp Half-Blood, however, Gaea's servants overwhelmed them. They captured Nico, and now his companions have no way of transporting the statue."