Chapter 15: Change

~ Time skip, Saturday afternoon ~

Maya's POV

Riley and I were just casually playing a game of checkers on the kitchen table. Riley jumped me, and I got a little aggravated. "ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW? YOU JUMPED ALMOST ALL OF MY PEOPLE! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" I yelled, fake pouting. Riley softly giggled. "Sorry! I'm just really good at checkers!" She said, putting her hands up. I laughed. Mr. And Mrs. Matthews came down the stairs. I gave them a small smile.

Mrs. Matthews gave me a smile back, but her eyes showed worry. "Riley, honey, can you go in your room? We need to talk to Maya for a second," she said. My eyebrows furrowed together. Riley just nodded and went upstairs to our room. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews took their seats across from me. My teeth nervously latched onto my lip. Cory and Topanga never had to have a serious talk with me whatsoever. Excluding when I opened up to them about my mom.

"Um....What's the problem?" I muttered. Topanga and Cory shared a look then looked back at me. "Honey....Your mother called us," Topanga said softly, resting her hand on top of my left one. It felt like everything in the world stopped for a second. After everything that happened, my mother, Katy Hart, thought about me? It was too good to be true. My mind and heart were not agreeing on this particular topic. I took a deep breath. "W...What did she say?" I managed to say, trying to blink back tears. I kept thinking that my mother probably wanted to get me back just to make herself look good. Well, I'm not going back to her. Why would I go back to my horrible mother when she did me a favor and gave me the opportunity to meet Riley? "Katy said she wanted you back home. By tomorrow. I know she was very hard on you based on what you told us, but she's your mother and has custody of you still," Mr. Matthews said.

I stood up angrily. "No! I'm not going back to her! She threw me out of our home; I can't forgive her for that! Can't you go to court or something? I don't care what my mom says. I'm staying here if she likes it or not," I protested, crossing my arms. Topanga stood up and put her arm around me, calming me down a little. I wasn't going to leave the Matthews' household. If I were to go back to my former home, Mom might've banned me from seeing Riley or the Matthews ever again.

"Maya, I hate this as much as you do. But we can't do anything. Well, we could invite your mother over and figure out something. But if she still wants you back, our hands are tied, ok?" Topanga said. I just nodded and ran upstairs, not saying another word.

~ In Riley and Maya's room ~

"WHAT?" Riley yelled after I told her everything. I nodded, plopping down on a seat next to the bay window. Riley sat beside me. "Yeah, and she's coming over later for dinner. I can't believe this right now," I replied, sighing. I guess happy endings weren't made for me. It took me quite a while for Riley and I to end up together, and now we could be possibly torn apart? "I'm letting your mom take you back. We have to do something. I don't like the thought of waking up not seeing you. It'd be unbearable," Riley announced, standing up. I slightly blushed.

It was 4:45. Someone knocked on the front door. "GIRLS, WE HAVE A VISITOR! BETTER BE DRESSED NICE!" Mrs. Matthews yelled from downstairs. I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing black leggings and a red crop top. Riley was wearing denim overalls over a white shirt. "We're fine," I said before going downstairs. We walked slowly. "You'll be okay, Peaches. Just lay low and avoid eye contact," Riley whispered in my ear soothingly. I just nodded, looking down. We made it downstairs. Mr. Matthews, Mrs. Matthews, and my mom were in the middle of a conversation.