Chapter 1

My eyes open to the dark sky and tall trees. There’s a pounding in my head and my body is so sore. I sit up and look around. Trees are surrounding me. Where am I?

  I stand up and wince as I move my shoulder, which is also in terrible pain. Taking a moment to pull myself together, I ask myself questions. How did I get here? I search my brain for any clues, any memories of how I may have gotten here, but there's nothing there. My brain is empty. I search again, this time for anything to tell me who I am, but I still come up empty. Who am I? No memories, lost in the middle of the woods, and not the faintest idea of who I am? Well, isn’t this fantastic?

  I don’t know how long I’ve been walking. Maybe it has only been minutes. Maybe it’s been hours. I finally find a dirt trail through a clearing in the trees. As I walk along it, I realize how tired and cold I am. My stomach feels empty, but I’m not hungry. I lie down and pull my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms around them. I bury my face in my knees, planning on staying in this position for a few minutes; just to gain some warmth and to rest for a while. Almost immediately after I shut my eyes, I’m asleep.

  When my eyes open again, I’m somewhere different. The room is white and looks sterile. There’s a small window to the right of me with a little light showing through the curtains. In the corner to the left of the window is a television. On my left is a door.

  I sit up. I’m in a bed. Where am I? How did I get here? I lift up the sheet that lies over my legs and throw it off me. I swing my feet over the edge of the bed. My eyes search the room, and I see that there is a tube in my arm. As I attempt to pull it out, the door swings open and a women walks in.

  “I wouldn’t pull that out,” She says, smiling at me. “You should leave it in, at least until we get a doctor in here.”  A doctor?

  The woman is blonde with ivory skin. She has light freckles across her nose and a nametag that says ‘Natalie’.  She walks across the room to look at a monitor that is sitting to the right of my bed. She smiles, and picks up clipboard that was hanging on the door. Her eyes scan the sheet on the clipboard and she looks up at me. 

  “It looks like your doing well.” She says, still smiling. “You’ve been out for three days, but that’s probably just because you were exhausted.” She pauses, and then looks concerned. “Do you remember what happened?”

  “I…Where am I?” I ask.

  “Your in the hospital.” She tells me. “A police officer found you on a trail in the woods three days ago, pretty beat up too.”

 “Beat up? What happened to me?”

   The doctor that came into my room about ten minutes later told me that I have Retrograde Amnesia, which explains why I can’t remember anything about myself or anything that happened up until I woke up in the woods. She told me that the only thing that they could find out was that I have a tattoo on the back of my neck that says “Rosalie Parker”. They said that it may be my name, but no one has reported anyone missing with that name or with a picture of me.

  She told me that I should go see someone to help me find out what happened. Someone by the name of Sherlock Holmes, apparently never fails a case. That’s why I’m now in a cab on my way to 221b Baker Street.