Arendelle's Secret

"What's your favorite season, Elsie?" Agnarr asked, wiping his chin, messing up his oh-so-carefully groomed mustache. Elsa, his 7-year-old, smiled at him, one of her teeth missing (the Tooth fairy had been quite generous).

"Winter, daddy! It's just so fun to play in the snow. I wish I had snow all year round," she said, eating another ample piece of her special sumptuous, splendid, chocolate cake. Elsa, Anna (Agnarr's toddler) Agnarr's wife Iduna, and Agnarr all sat together around a lavishly decorated table, the chandelier above them shining brightly, illuminating the beautiful paintings of rulers past on the soft velvet walls.

"Agreed," Agnarr's wife, Iduna, said, taking a sip of a particularly precious Pinot Noir, "but that doesn't mean you have to TRY TO TAKE SNOW INSIDE AND ALMOST FLOOD THE CASTLE LIKE YOU DID TWO WEEKS AGO. Seriously, Elsa, I told you not to do that."

"Sorry, Mommy."

"Oh, Elsie. Such a silly little girl. But I swear, if you disobey me one more time—"

"But snow is so fun, Mama! What if it snowed inside? I bet it could snow inside! That would be awesome," Anna interrupted, reclining in her intricately carved chair, "I love snow."

"Well, the snow's all melted, so you'll have to make do, Annabear," Agnarr said, standing up from his seat at the table, "but I have work to attend to. I'm afraid I'll have to leave you guys for a little while. I'll be back for dinner. If you need me, I'll be in my study. Okay, Elsie?"

"Okay," Elsa replied, taking her silk napkin off her lap, "but I'm gonna go—"
Anna shot up from her chair, knocking over her glass. "Let's go play, Elsie!"

"Okay," Elsa repeated, smiling. Somehow her sister could always make her smile. Anna raced to the door a the other end of the dining room. "Bye, mom," Anna yelled.

"Bye, Anna. And be careful, Elsa, all right? And don't go into anywhere dangerous. See you too soon."

Elsa followed Anna through a long string the vast, looming halls. The ceiling, a decorated tapestry describing Arendelle's history, stretched above them, and the wooden floors were creaky but comforting to Elsa's touch. The castle itself was like a maze. Even after living there for her whole life, there were rooms she had yet to discover. Anna randomly made turns, until they finally reached a huge, unfamiliar, and most importantly, unexplored doorway. There was a lit candle with on a plate on a table next to the door. Anna placed it in her hand.

"Can you open it, Elsie? I can't reach it," Anna explained.

"Of course," Elsa said, reaching just above her head with her arm to open the door. The handle was cold to her touch. She pushed down, but the door barely opened a crack. She pushed again, using all of her strength. The door opened to reveal a wide room in front of them.

"Whoa," Anna said, her eyes widening.

The room was huge and glittering with a thousand different crystals, shining stars in the candlelight.

"There's so many of them," Elsa breathed, looking at the elaborate glass cases, each one housing one crystal, every one decorated with a pattern or symbol, all the way stretching to the far end of the room, where there was a golden mirror. The gem nearest to elsa was a diamond snowflake, brightly reflecting all of the light in the room in a saturated shade of cold, icy blue.

"Why haven't Mommy and Daddy told us about this room before?" Anna asked Elsa.

"I don't know," Elsa replied. "But they must have a reason."

"We do," Iduna said. Elsa and Anna turned around to face their mother, embarrassed. "Please. Stay out of that room. It holds something very dangerous."