The Unknown

I am Will Grayson, and this is my story. I'm not sure where to begin. I haven't actually told anyone about what really happened that night, the night she... We'll get to that later. I guess I should start at the beginning, the day my life changed.

The stars shone bright in the country night sky. Crickets sang their sweet lullaby as owls took flight, their wings silent and their eyes scanning the fields for rodents. The grass was cool and faintly wet from dew. It was the perfect time of night to slip out of the second story window, climb down the big oak tree, and head down to the secluded cave a mile away. My feet moved quickly along the familiar path, I'd traveled this way many times and knew the course by heart even on the darkest nights.

Once I came across the familiar dip into the earth I knew I was home. I easily slid down the hill and found the tunnel, I walked through it easily, it was maybe a few inches taller than me. I emerged into the small cave that I had made my own. I turned on the lights that were hooked up to the small portable generator and sat back in the chair I'd lugged down here. No one knew this place existed except for me. It's on my families property so I'm not trespassing and there's no worry I'll ever be found.

The cave was still, a slight draft found it's way in that chilled my bones. Letting out a loud sigh I dug into my pocket reaching for the familiar feel of glass. Once I curled my fingers around it I pulled it out. I looked at my small glass bowl, it was mostly see through with a few blue and black streaks going through it. At the bottom of the bowl there was a brownish yellow residue. I'd had this piece for a few months and it was easily my favorite. I stuck the small black filter into the bowl and loaded it with some bud.

I used my small green lighter to light the weed as I inhaled slowly, covering the hole in the side with my thumb. Then I removed my finger and pulled harder, feeling the smoke invade my lungs. I continued this until there was no green left in the bowl. Sitting my bowl down on the small wooden table next to me I stood up. I felt warm, and most importantly I felt happy. After losing my younger brother a year before it was getting harder and harder to smile. Mike had always been my little ray of sunshine, he didn't deserve to get taken out of this world. I did. It kills me everyday knowing that he had so much to live for and fate took him instead of me.

I walked out of the cave and climbed the hilltop onto the grassy patch of land. Laying on my back I stared at the sky. Small clouds obscured my vision of a few stars but the view was still breathtaking. I closed my eyes, letting the universe engulf me in her presence. I listened to cicadas, hearing there rhythmic melody. I sat up, crossing my legs and bringing my hands to my abdomen, folding them into each other neatly. I let my mind wander, focusing on everything yet nothing. I let go of all worry, letting the woes of life fade away. Meditation always helped me keep a sound mind, it made me feel connected to everything. After an hour or so I slipped back into my window and fell fast asleep only to be awoken by the sound of my alarm, alerting me that I had school.

Pulling on a pair of faded jeans I made my way to my closet. I looked at myself in the mirror, I had a slim torso and slightly muscular arms. I grabbed a t-shirt and a hoodie and made my way downstairs to have a quick breakfast before driving to hell, er, school.

Everybody here avoids me like the plague. I'm just some useless druggie, they're all just itching to see me locked up and away from them. I could care less, some of these scumbags are my most loyal clients, oh, maybe I should mention it now. I'm a dealer. Yep, anything you want, I can get. I guess that's why I don't get my ass handed to me everyday.

I reached my locker only to find a girl at the locker next to mine. She had perfect blonde hair, a cashmere sweater, and the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. She turned and looked at me, her emerald eyes shining brightly.

"Hi, I'm Charlotte. You must be locker 237?"