Chapter 17: Fighting For You

Zay was Lucas's friend back when he was in Texas. He moved to New York in 8th grade but left before we started high school. He was one of my closest friends, and he was always there for me when I needed someone to talk to. Now, I needed someone to talk to. Riley and Lucas weren't an option anymore.

It was a few days later. Riley and I haven't talked since Monday, and I was kind of getting used to it, to be honest. We finally arrived at school. I departed from Riley and headed toward my locker. It was very deserted. All of a sudden, all I saw was darkness. A smirk formed on my face. "Guess who?" A familiar voice exclaimed from behind me. I uncovered my eyes and turned around to face Zay. "Zay! You're here!" I said happily. He picked me up and spun me around. I giggled and immediately covered my mouth. Since when did I giggle? "So you giggle now, Maya?" Zay remarked. I rolled my eyes, my defensive side coming back in.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Riley staring at us vigorously. At first I thought she was jealous, but I knew she wasn't. Riley said she was done with me; she made that pretty clear. "Some teachers are giving me a dirty look. I better go now. I'll see you after school," Zay said. I nodded, opening my locker. I grabbed my books for class right when the bell rang. I strolled over to history class and took my seat. Eventually, everyone arrived in the classroom. "Today, we'll be discussing about plans. A game plan, if you will. People in history had plans before doing something, and some did not. Same thing for people in our modern day world. For example, making someone jealous just to win them back. It can work, or it can backfire. Make sure to plan carefully and wisely. You don't want to hurt a person's feelings in the process," Mr. Matthews explained. My teeth latched onto my bottom lip tightly. I had a feeling Mr. Matthews was onto me. He occasionally looked at me throughout the lesson. I looked down to avoid eye contact.

The bell finally rang, and I ran out before hearing what the homework assignment was. Riley and Lucas walked out of the classroom, hand in hand. Riley and I locked eyes, but she quickly turned away. I walked toward our next class, English.

~ Later, At lunch ~

I sat down at my lonely table, and Isadora plopped down beside me as usual.  "How are you? You know, Riley-wise?" Isadora asked me. I rolled my eyes playfully, "I'm actually pretty good. I called for back-up, just to let you know. Zay, to be exact," I said, smirking to myself. Isadora almost automatically blushed. Ok, I was lying. Lucas wasn't my only friend a few months ago. Isadora and I were acquaintances at the time, but I knew that Zay liked her. She always used to insult him in her genius way. "Isaiah, huh? Well, um....Ok then. It's just business. He's only here for business, right?" I just nodded, the smirk never leaving my face. Lunch was finally over, and I didn't even get to eat anything. Not that I cared. Isadora and I ran out of the cafeteria and ran outside. Zay was waiting for us by the front doors. He winked at Isadora and she rolled her eyes. "Save it for later, lovebirds. You're only here for business. Now, does anyone have any ideas to get Riley to forgive me?" I interrupted. All of a sudden, Isadora and Zay burst out laughing. My eyebrows furrowed together, not sure why they burst into unnecessary laughter.

"Maya, honey. Seriously? You brought me all the way here just so you can Riley to forgive you? That's crazy! Let's hop onto this love train, ya'll!" Zay exclaimed, still laughing. I rolled my eyes impatiently. "Well, for the forgiveness part, just talk to her! You can't let Riley think she was just a game to you. It's not even true. Tell her the truth. Tell her how to really feel," Isadora suggested, punching Zay in the arm for no reason. He pretended to be hurt.

"You're right. I just have to talk to her. You guys have fun, all right?" I said. I hugged them both before heading home.

~ In Riley and Maya's room ~

I reluctantly slipped into Riley's room. I was so nervous, but I knew I had to do this. Riley was my best friend; I needed her. She was sitting at the bay window by herself, fiddling with a loose thread on her blouse. I strolled over to the bay window and plopped down next to her. She completely ignored my presence. "Riley, I need you to hear me out. Please, just give me five minutes and I'll leave you alone forever," I muttered, resting my hand on top of hers. Riley moved her hand away from mine, lacing her fingers together. My teeth latched onto my lip nervously, hoping she would give me a chance. "Fine. But only five minutes. I have a date with Lucas soon and I have to get ready," she finally murmured, turning to face me. I took a deep breath.

I stood up, and faced Riley. "All my life, I felt invisible. Everyone hated me, and treated me like crap. But then I met you. You saved me from rotting in a prison cell. You treated me like a human being; like an individual. You accepted me; whenever I'm around you, I feel like I'm at home. Then I started to develop different feelings for you, and I felt different when I was around you. But you liked Lucas at the time and stuff. Then you developed feelings for me. Then I pushed you away. I was scared, Riley. Scared of what would happen to our friendship. Scared that we wouldn't be in the stars anymore. But then you started to think that I thought you were just a game to me. That's not true, Riley. You were the best thing that ever happened to me. You made me see color in this world. You are my light. You are there for me when I need someone to talk to. Unlike everyone else, you never left. I need you to stay. I love you, Riley Matthews. And I will keep fighting for you no matter what." Tears streamed down my face as I waited for Riley to answer me.

She stood up in front of me. "I will never leave you, Peaches. I'm so sorry. I was such a bitch to you. I was just....hurt. The way you pushed me away. But I should've talked to you. Your mother was about to take you away from me and I just couldn't deal with all the pressure. But I should've cared about your feelings. You mean a lot to me, Maya. And I don't want to lose you. We will always be in the stars. You are my best friend and I love you," Riley sobbed, bringing me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her neck and laid my head in her shoulder.

I had my best friend back. I felt like I was on top of the world at the moment. But I forgot one thing: The whole "I'm still in love with you" part. Riley pulled away from
me when her phone buzzed. "Oh, shoot. I have to get ready for my date with Lucas," she said, heading over to her closet. I just nodded, looking down. "Have fun. I'll just be going to Isadora's house. Bye," I muttered before exiting out of the window.

...

"What do you mean you didn't tell her about your real feelings?" Isadora's house was fairly large. She had a wide staircase that led to her bedroom, which was also spacious. Isadora sat against her king bed while Zay and I sat in front of her. "She was still going out with Lucas! Do you really want history to repeat itself?" I said in defense, crossing my arms. Zay nodded. "Maya has a point. They just made up. Do you really want all that to go up in flames?" He agreed. Isadora rolled her eyes. She stood up and walked over to her desk. We followed her. "I had a feeling this would happen. I carefully planned a game plan, like Mr. Matthews taught us. Riley and Lucas probably didn't leave for their date yet, right? How about you and Zay spy on them to see if the relationship is toxic or genuine. From there, we can see how we can win Riley back for you, Maya," Isadora explained to us.

A smile spread across my face. I almost automatically hugged Isadora tightly. She was still trying to figure out how to hug me back. "Thank you so much, Smackle. You're a great friend," I said. Zay stood impatiently, his arms crossed. "Wow. I pay for a plane to get all the way here, and I get no thank you? You are flaw, Maya," he said, faking a pout. I rolled my eyes and hugged him as well.

.................................................

A/N: We got Smackle, we got Zay. IT'S LITTTTTTT!!!!!!